Does reference have to end in a digit?

Most of my references are fine: R1, R2, C1, C2, etc. However, I have a few that KiCAD keeps appending ‘1’ to: INPUT and C7b, for instance.

I could live with INPUT1, but C7b is an ancillary of C7, whereas C7b1 is just confusing. Is there a way to stop this?

Thanks,
Jeff.

I think kicad always appends a digit and there is no way to turn that off.

1 Like

Oh well. Thanks for the reply.

Also if a reference ends in a lower case i would read this as: This is part of a multi unit symbol. (So i would expect C1b and C1a to be in the same physical package. Example a capacitor array)

Alpha endings usually mean a multi unit part. You might be able to create a two unit “dual” capacitor. The footprint would be the hard part

It sounds like I need to re-think my numbering. (I wasn’t aware of the multi-unit part convention.)

I’m implementing a “known” schematic with a few ancillary parts added. I don’t want to renumber things as that will make references to the original circuit more difficult. But on further thought appending them to the end of the number set (C12) rather than trying to insert into the middle (C7b) might be better…

Well, I just added a dual triode tube to one of my schematics, and now I know what you all mean by multi-unit parts. :wink:

Very cool feature, although a little clunky to edit (primarily since I only have the option of “shared with all” and “not shared”, when dual triodes of course have stuff shared between the two triode sections, but not the heater section).