Does Kicad supply font characters such as Ω and µ.?

Personally I would try to avoid using these sort of suffixes. Whilst they are generally ok in KiCad, any external scripts may not be so tolerant. Some time back I had a BOM which included resistors with Ω symbols - this caused major confusion and corruption of a Python script that processed it.

1 Like

I have seen one schematic, drawn and edited by a team, that had µ,u and mm in it.

I wonder how you have seen our design, it’s confidential.

4 Likes

yup, unfortunately ASCII-7 still rules… and even a kicad (v5.1) will mangle these characters in say Excel

My attitude is that one should boycott (or girlcott :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) applications that don’t support Unicode in this day and age, but I know this is not always feasible.

5 Likes

Unless doing some very specific text processing on the values, if just copied around verbatim, UTF-8 should not break anything compared to pure ASCII. BOM tools choking on UTF-8 should be burnt. But in particular if done with something as high-level as Python, not handling UTF-8 properly is just unexcusable. :no_mouth:

But of course, one has to get some perspective. If we are talking about recent software, this is unexcusable, but if we are talking about software that is over 10-year old, that may be another story.

1 Like

UTF-8 can be a security risk as there have been issues, such as phishing sites with look-a-like UTF-8 characters being substituted to make URLs look correct

1 Like

Yes (at least on windows)
I just added a silkscreen text box with the degree and micro sign.

The degree sign is Alt +0176
The micro sign is Alt + 0181
Not sure the Alt code for ohms sign but you can just copy this: Ω

Not only that, there is a CVE associated with UTF-8 due to RTL recoding such that a load of application then had to flag when such char are used as they could be used to start (well end) some malicious intent

@naib, @Maverick17, and others: If you use UTF-8, you may run into problems. I raised a similar issue for KiCAD4, six years ago, because it converted UTF-8 in net names to question marks in the IPC-D-356 netlist. If you read that thread, one of the developers said that was explicitly the intended behavior. I don’t think that has changed.

1 Like

KiCad does support utf-8 but that does not mean the fileformats do and IPC-D-356 is an old netlist format and thus ASCII-7 is the likely limit

1 Like

Also for completeness: on macOS the Character Viewer is invoked using Fn+E or the menu Edit->Emoji & Symbols in most text entry areas. The Character Viewer lets you save favorite symbols for quick access.

The etymology of the word boycott is rather interesting Boycott - Wikipedia and has nothing to do with gender.

Some Examples - Can do a little testing to find Fonts that you want to use… (You’ll see some are Not the best…)

All these are W=H=3mm, Thickness=0.15

Yes, I know all that. It’s was a person’s name. Etymology is a hobby of mine. It was a joke. :wink:

1 Like

Python 2 is now unsupported and Python 3 supports Unicode so I would suggest μ etc are no big deal in practice.

Incidentally, on Windows 11, I typed that Greek mi with Windows key + space, which switched me from US to Greek keyboard (which I happen to have installed, for other reasons). But there are other ways, like copy and paste from the character picker.

The Basic Latin alphabet can also be a security risk, lowercase L and the numeral one are easily or maliciously confused same for upper case O and numeral zero.

Clearly therefore we should all go back to using the Etruscan script. In this essay I will

Here is another I’ve seen on malicious emails: rn = m as in .corn = .com

In my age group it pays to always wear reading glasses when viewing screens. :frowning_face:

Folklore has it that Joe Ossanna of Bell Labs who wrote the Unix typesetting program troff created the word modem by misspelling modern in a paper, but this appears to be a spurious story.

Uppercase “i” as well in sans serif fonts.
Password managers sometimes have the option to avoid the use of “I” in the random password generators, losing some entropy in the process