Does it make sense to have development snapshots for the v5.1 branch going forward?

Maybe, you can make them publishing it with the same argument M$ was forced to standardize and document their complicated XML file format.
Libreoffice / Openoffice has a good well documented format which made it first through the standard bodies.

So if you play config management the hard way you want to be able to generate the artefacts from source files even when the tool vendor does not supply the tool anymore. With well documented data formats, one at least in theory is able to throw money at the problem and to hire people to code a converter tool to be able to import old designs.

If a party really insists on file documentation or otherwhise would not buy 42 seats of the tool, I guess the vendor would move.

Cheers,

xenonflash

No, that is to generous. That was a genuine brain-fart; caused because it is normal for humans to start counting at ā€œ1ā€; not ā€œ0ā€.

Yeah, I bet that even the two-year old son of @AdmiralCrunch knows that! But Analog Artisans graciously tolerate creatures from the software and digital realms. Well, at least most of us do.

Dale

1 Like

ā€¦ and realize, that I can count on my fingers up to 32 on just one hand. So, is the guy in the image actually trying to inform the viewer that the correct number is ā€œ4ā€?

1 Like

Depends on whether itā€™s little-endian or big-endian format. And, of course, being a photo thereā€™s the question of mirroring.

Dale

I think you confused ā€œmost significant bit (MSB) firstā€/ā€œleast significant bit (LSB) firstā€ with big endian/little endian.
The former defines the bitorder in a stream of bits. The later defines the byte order in a stream of bytes. (big endian can have both MSB or LSB first ordering so does little endian.)

1 Like

Actually, the 5 bit binary number for decimal 4 is a palindrome (00100). So bit order doesnā€™t matter. :nerd_face:

1 Like

@Sprig, @Rene_Poschl, @SembazuruCDE ;
When I laughed at these last 6 posts, my wife wandered over to see what was so funny. She barely comprehended the humor even after I explained it. (She DOES recall the word ā€œpalindromeā€ from when we played around with them a couple decades ago.) It mostly reinforced her belief that ā€œEngineers make rather decent husbands, but you donā€™t want to be caught dead with one at a party.ā€.

Dale

3 Likes

What? Being pedantic for pedanticā€™s sake isnā€™t a good party game? You must hang out with the ā€œwrongā€ people. :smirk: (Or maybe I doā€¦) :rofl:

Dragging this thread back to subject, several of us have bugs fixed and closed in the 5.1 branch, so it would be good to have a snapshot available to test before official 5.1.1 release.

1 Like

For those interested I created a 5.1 nightly build pkg script for winbuilder (actually, I modified an existing one), that uses the 5.1 branch, but uses the symbols, footprints etc from 5.1.0.

PKGBUILD-NIGHTLY-5.1 (6.3 KB)

Hope this helps.

1 Like

There is a 5.1.1 build on the KiCad download page ā€œother versionsā€

@jsreynaud
Could a nightly V5.x.x be possible for Ubuntu?
I love helping with testing, but since I use kicad mainly for work I prefer to be able to fallback to stable

Juet to understand. You want to be able to run in same time 5.1.1 (stable) and 5.1 dev branch in the same time ?
Currently itā€™s possible to run 5.1.1 (stable) and master (main dev branch) in the same timeā€¦

1 Like

exactly! :slight_smile: perhaps even V5 stable, V5 dev and nightly

v5 will have no updates so dev and nightly for it make no sense. Only 5.1 branch will be updated.

By V5 I meant V5.x.x

Yes and 5.0.x will have no updates, 5.1.x is discussed above so Iā€™m not sure what you were asking for?

5.1 series is developed (partly) independently from the master (which leads to 6.0). It might be useful to have the 5.1 development branch which has bugfixes but isnā€™t released yet as 5.1.x. The developers have also discussed of the possibility to have more testing for some bugfixes. Right now some fixes may be undertested when they are released.

1 Like

I can see I might have phrased it bad. I woud love the possibility to have v5.1.1 (stable), v5.1 branch (for testing bugfixes before they make it to stable) and v6 dev (nightly) all installed at the same time :slight_smile: