Document translate and commercial use

Can I take a Kicad document and translate it into my language(Thai) and write it into my book for commercial use?
I mean translate document on website https://docs.kicad.org/ to my nation language (Thai) and use this in my book. Is there copyright if I sell it commercially?

What type of document are you talking about?

This, at the bottom of the page, should tell you what you can and cannot do . . .

1 Like

I read it as everything is under mentioned licences except (practically) everything :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yup, specifically what the OP Is looking for, the documentation is very specifically excluded from the licenses mentioned.

I’m not sure what ‘documentation’ means. Do the user manuals are documentation, or there is some other software documentation used mainly by developers never seen by most of KiCad users.

The docs main page has links to the documents, and if you open them one by one, the first thing you will see in the top of each document is the copyright and licence information.

The details of the documentation license is also in the documentation source repository: LICENSE.adoc · master · KiCad / KiCad Web Services / kicad-doc · GitLab

You would need to follow the Creative Commons CC-BY-3.0 license terms to use the documentation in a commercial project.

KiCad’s documentation files have a copyright notice right at the top when you open them. For example, when you open:

Then it starts with:

This document is Copyright © 2010-2024 by its contributors as listed below. You may distribute it and/or modify it under the terms of either the GNU General Public License (The GNU General Public License v3.0 - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation), version 3 or later, or the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/), version 3.0 or later.

Also, KiCad uses translation tools to keep things synchronized, KiCad’s documentation is already translated into 10+ languages (click on the English foldout menu in the right top). These translation tools help with for example locating changes in the documentation. If the “master” document gets updated, then these tools help to guide your attention to the parts that are changed, and confirm which parts can skip your attention because they have not changed.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.