Do Sketch has some not known by me and Google meaning?

In File - Fabrication Outputs - Gerbers there is checkbox:
[ ] Sketch pads on fabrication layers.
Google translator translates ‘Sketch’ into the word that then is back translated also into ‘Sketch’ so looks being direct translation. But this word means ‘make a rough or unfinished drawing’.

To tell you truth I don’t understand what exactly this flag is intended to mean. I would expect rather something like Delete, Subtract or Mask pads from fabrication layers or Mask fabrication layers with pads. Do the idea is to avoid any fabrication layers from pads?

I also don’t know which fabrication layers are modified if this flag is set. Silk layers only?

If I switch KiCad into my language I see here something even more difficult to understand. It translates into English as “Field outlines on production layers” and this time it is accurate translation - no pads but fields and not the whole field area but its outline only.

I know that it is hard to name as if pad have to be delayed from silk it not have to be delayed from mask because mask is negative.

I think in past in gerber generation silk could be eliminated from mask openings. Do now is eliminated from pads only?

I have noticed that “Subtract soldermask from silkscreen” option is still there.

Have you read the tooltip?

Also note that KiCad uses “sketch” for only drawing the outlines of pads / via’s / tracks.

SKETCH | English meaning - Cambridge Dictionary
a simple, quickly-made drawing that does not have many details:

So KiCad using “sketch” for only drawing the outline instead of filling the objects does make sense to me.

1 Like

No !! :frowning:
I understood fabrication layers as all layers used during PCB fabrication - like silkscreen, soldermask, paste, adhesive.
Fab layers are for me exact mechanical element dimensions what (even named Fab) I don’t understand as fabrication layers.
If instead of Fabrication text was saying Fab I would understood it correctly.

Thanks.
I didn’t used that flag, but since it is I didn’t understood its purpose.

I have never exported Fab layer so just didn’t considered it thinking about gerbers.

Now, when I understand its meaning it does make sense to me also.

Edit.
I suppose that Fab layers are not PCB fabrication layers but PCB assembly layers :slight_smile:

If you type in an english word into a search engine and add “dictonary” then you usually get links to a bunch of different online dictionaries. I once had a quite nice Collins/Cobuild dictionary (in paper) but it went into the old paper recycling along with nearly all my paper databooks. It’s just too much work to find anything in it.

It was not a problem of dictionary but my wrong assumption what Fabrication layers means here.

For many years when there were no Google translator I was using DOS Collins dictionary but probably when I moved from 32 bit Windows XP to 64 bit Windows 7 it refused to work :frowning: