Do ratsnests between copied PCBs always mean a critical error?

If I select, copy and paste the whole PCB with the aim of creating a panel, so I’d paste maybe 10 times and spread out the PCBs and join with rectangles or V shapes, the thing is I get a lot of ratsnests coming from the first PCB to all other PCBs, does this mean there’s a critical issue with the PCB design?

No, it is one of the known problems with panelization. Each copy has the same RefDes and all net names are also copied. So as far as KiCad is concerned, all nets between all instances of the circuit should be connected to each other.

Do you use plugins such as KiKit or the Sparkfun Panelizer?

A possibly interesting way for panelization is to use a hierarchical sheet design, and then use the Replicate Layout plugin to create the panel. This is particularly interesting if your panel is likely to get modifications in the future, or if you want to include extra circuitry on the panel, for example for testing or for programming. A disadvantage of this approach is that each instance gets different RefDes. for all footprints.

If you want to experiment, then doing so on a simple test circuit makes it easy to try several approaches quickly. For example just a resistor and capacitor, or the standard transistor amplifier (1BJT, 4 resistors, maybe a connector).

1 Like

My pcb has arced corners according to jlc it says

Board edges with arcs or protrusions should not be V-cut. Edges w

Will I be with just corned arced to V score?

If your board has rounded corners and you want to apply v-cuts on the panel you would have to add tabs like this.

Then the PCB panel can be manufactured.

I am not so sure about that.
There is also a minimum distance between the V-scoring lines, but this may be manufacturer dependent. The traditional way has multiple V-scoring wheels mounted on a single axis, and the width of the wheel determines minimum distance.

But if there are enough small runs, then maybe they use a V-scoring machine that creates teh V-scores one by one under CNC control. Slower, but easier to automate.

You are right but for some reason jlcpcb doesn’t accept Andy_S panel. I guess it’s because of what I just said but I’m not 100% sure.

I have just checked a recent 2x2 panel manufactured by safepcb with rounded corners and v-cuts. They have applied milling like this

upper right corner

center of the panel

In this case I didn’t have to add tabs. I think jlcpcb should be able to do it too.

If you are using JLC pcb why not just let them do the panel layout?
We have never had an issue with it and you can download the panel gerbers once they have done it in case you ever want to change fab houses.

Because they charge a larger setup fee for them to do it, my goal is to keep costs to a minimum. Once you learn the process of doing it yourself then there’s no issue. It’s just when you’re learning it can be like doing things in the dark, you’re pretty sure you have it correct but there’s always that measure of doubt.

Are you sure? I have just re-checked it and the price is the same whether i select panel by customer or by jlc.
This came up a couple of days ago and it ws the same then.
I order 2-3 times a week from them and have never paid extra for them to do it.