Do any TerminalBlock has 3D shape?

As I remember in 4.0.7 terminal blocks had 3D shapes (at least some of them).
In 5.0.1 and 5.0.2 I can’t find any.
I have checked only some 2-pin terminal blocks as I don’t know if it is possible to fast look-through all footprints in selected library to see if they have 3D or not.

Some 3d models from v4 did not make the cut as they are incompatible with the new guidelines. (We need them correctly scaled for the footprint to use scale setting = 1,1,1. We also require a step model in addition to the wrl model.)

there is a new incoming PR for terminal blocks :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have yet to use github. If I want to use the 3D model shown in the pictures in kicad 5.0.1, do I have to join git ? Or do I just copy the text after Parameter file footprints and the text block after Parameter file 3D model Where do I paste the text in order to associate it with a footprint? Is it necessary to change any label in the text in order to associate the 3D model data with a particular terminal block footprint ? I have no idea how the 3D data is stored in text files. (assuming 3D is stored in plain text files since all data in kicad seems to be stored in text files–Very nice feature! BTW)

When few days ago I have asked if to point to wrl or step I understood that better is to point to wrl, and that KiCad if will need step it will look for the file with the same name, but with step extension. But I didn’t know that step is required by new guidelines (wrl and step names tells me nothing). OK. So when you will have both wrl and step then 3D will be available.

Even Google tells me PR means Public Relations I don’t understand you.

I still have the 4.X versions of the libs on my computer. I recently used a couple of the files, with a bit of tweaking in some cases, for the 3-D viewer.

Pull Request. It is a term used in git. I think it means a developer has submitted a request that their code be pulled into the existing branch from the submitters branch.

1 Like

I’m not sure if understand what you are asking about so not sure if answering right.
I am rechecking some my footprints I have defined under 4.0.7. After loading 5.0.1 (and today 5.0.2). To associate the 3D model with my footprint I copy what I found with the like mine KiCad footprint at its “Footprint properties”, “3D settings” tab, “3D Shape Names:” contens to the same place of my footprint.
Really I don’t copy text (as I look at it at one PC and have to write at another PC) but use “Add 3D Shape” button and look for the 3D file in KiCad directory to select the right one.

As you can suppose I have just reached my terminal blocks to be 3D updated :slight_smile:

I have deleted completelly 4.X as I have used it only as my first experiments (one PCB ordered) and decided to wait for V5 to begin real work. I don’t need 3D now, but thought it will be good to have my library with no unfinished parts :slight_smile:

Phoenix contact has 3d step files for a lot of thier stuff as does Onshore technology… both of which are good and inexpensive.

More precisely: It is a term kind of unique to github.

It is the way how a contributor without write access can contribute to a project.
A pull request basically replaces the old way of sending patches per mail with something more intuitive.

In gitlab the same thing is called a merge request. (which is maybe more descriptive about what happens. A contributor requests their contribution to be merged into the main repo.)

The step file format is used for exchanging data between different mechanical CAD programs. In our case we require step models such that kicad can export a full step model of a board for exchanging data with your mechanical engineer.

Wrl on the other hand is a file format specialized for making artistic renders. It is an approximation of the surface of a shape using a number of triangles in space. The reason this format is superior for renderings is that it can define shader material properties.

You can also use the recently repaired download page for 3d models. (After the particular pull request has been merged of course.) https://kicad.github.io/packages3d/

Thanks. Now I understand why step is needed.
Fortunatelly I have no my mechanical engineer :slight_smile:
I understand you that wrl allows to define not sharp edge betwean two planes, but I’m not sure if understand well.

Just remember the following:

step is what you need for communcating with a mechanical engineer. (guaranteed exact representation of the part)
wrl is what your marketing guy will be happy about. (good for making pretty pictures)

1 Like

As the KiCad library is publicly available, library maintainers have to care about the licensing issues thus other publicly available models (either from manufacturers websites or from 3dcontencetral or similar sites) can not be included in KiCad library. Usually this models are available with license that prohibits further redistribution.

But if you take the Kicad library as a base for your personal library then you just add other 3D models into it.

I didn’t thought about it. I don’t understand it. The manufacturer of (as example) terminal blocks should be interested to have his terminal blocks (together with 3D) inserted in as many PCB software as possible so in my opinion he should have no problem to allow to distribute 3D models widely.
The next doubt. As I understand what Rene said wrl is more artistic, but step is precisely mechanic. So whoever does step based on given part dimensions you could suppose the step file can be the same.

I (obviously) can’t speak for them, but I imagine a reasoning could be that they don’t want 3rd parties (competitors, random vandalism, etc.) to change their models and release the models as the OEM’s. Potentially breaking the trust of the accuracy of the 3D models in the customer’s minds.

1 Like

It might be more closely related with one of the following:

• The models manufacturers redistribute are not their own but subcontracted to a third party. (samtec is an example for that. Also every distributor)
  • Marketing (and sales) think of 3d models as another way to get people onto the manufacturers website. (It makes sense to them to ensure that you get the model only on their website)
  • The manufacturer wants to restrict who gets the data (every manufacturer that requires registration before a download)

All of these would be valid reasons. I however suspect it is more closely something like: It was always this way. Changing the licensing would require a lot of people to agree. This is too hard (too expensive). No change is very easy.
In the end there simply is not enough pressure around to change this. (Who would choose a competitor just because of the license of the 3d models that you get for free anyways.)

All the 3d models in the kicad libraries have a mechanical model as source. From this model both STEP and WRL are generated.
Inserting a WRL in kicad would lead to a STEP counterpart when the board is going to be exported to STEP for mechanical purposes. This is an automatic process both if this is done using the internal export option or the StepUp FreeCAD plugin.
So, in general you can fit your board with wrl models and let the sw build the conversion using the step counterpart model.