Display a symbol property in the footprint (kicad 7) [SOLVED]

Hi,
I would like to add a text property (NAME) to a schematic symbol.
Then to show it in the schematic (that’s OK).
So I’ve added a field in the symbol property

But I can’t find a way to use this new field in the footprint editor.

Also, I have a second issue, in hierarchical sheet I would like that my new field be different in 2 instance of the same sheet. And currently It’s always the same value for my Name field.

To make is more concrete, I’m designing a front panel with many LEDs, and I want to add a text to explain the meaning of each LED. And I have a subsheet for each led with the led, the decoupling cap, and ESD protection.
I’m currently using the reference, but it’s limited in the format that I can use (I don’t want the number at the end).

If it’s not natively possible, may be it could be done via a plug in ??

In the footprint text ${WhateverIsYourSymbolFieldName}.

Hi,
thanks that is working (I did try it before asking, but I made a mistake in my field name (lower case vs uppercase).

Now, The second issue about the symbol field in multiple instance of the same hierachical sheet. The value of the field is the same for all the instance. May be there is a special switch to activate to tell kicad that the field should be per instance and not global to all the sheet.

Add the same field to each sheet instance:

The field can be used inside the sheet:

kuva

TOP…
Using ${Sheetname} does exactly what I wanted.

Thanks a lot

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.