Directory Organization

Perhaps the answer to that lies in FreeCAD when we install KICAD new?

All I know is this library thing makes my brain hurt. I think I am getting my head wrapped around it but it would seem like there would be a very easy and intuitive way of doing this.

A post was split to a new topic: Connect to part outside schematic

Iā€™m leery of those third party libraries. Sometimes they require work to correct infelicities before use. Even when all the symbol pins are numbered correctly and in a good orientation they often have the wrong or indifferent electrical types for ERC. Sometimes itā€™s faster to DIY symbol. As for footprints most parts are covered by the standard collection. Occasionally I use the wizard to make a footprint, e.g. for some nixies. Iā€™ve put together a 3D model using Freecad for a LED digit but often I do without a full 3D rendering since the project is for myself.

I think youā€™re overthinking this. Thereā€™s no need to build a comprehensive personal library, just accumulate entries as you go, either by adapting the standard entries, DIY, or from other sources.

BTW Iā€™ve split off your question about off schematic parts. A new topic is needed so that your question wonā€™t get lost and also be off topic for this thread.

3 Likes

Agree, except sometimes lots of work.
Which brings up another point:

It may well be quicker to ā€œfigure outā€ using the Kicad Symbol and Footprint Editors for you, after which, you wonā€™t have to bother searching for 3rd party stuff. :slightly_smiling_face:

I use GitHub for my projects, and I copy the entire folder every time I send a ā€œversionā€ for manufacture. So if I find the PCB later on I know where is the project.
Inside the project folder, I have a mess because I do not understand what the files are, but I try if possible to put all files in there and not use the library, since a new version of Kicad can esily break them:

There is a fantastic project that automatically generates images, schematics files, and production files every time I commit to Git: GitHub - INTI-CMNB/KiBot: KiCad automation utility

I still have a lot of room for improvement, but I feel itā€™s the right direction (for my use case)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.