DIP sockets SMD

I want to use those SMD sockets for DIP IC’s. Because… reasons (I hate soldering :joy: ) I see that these exist in Kicad. Atleast they are named
DIP-XX_W8.89mm_SMDSocket_LongPads (XX being amount of pins) so I figured that these footprints will do the job just fine.

The 3D symbol however shows me an DIP sized IC with SMD legs instead of an actual socket.

Can I use this footprint for these SMD IC sockets?
afbeelding

Regards,

Bas

From a datasheet on jlcpcb, the pads should be atleast 13.26mm from end to end.
afbeelding

In Kicad the footprint is smaller

I might get away with it, but I believe it is better to use a different footprint. I have googling for a different library with the proper sockets but no luck so far.

I think I will create my own foot prints. I do welcome any advice.

Regards,

Bas

Why don’t you want to use a THT socket, which actually takes less board space and won’t get cracked/dry joints every time you change an IC in it?

1 Like

I wasn’t 100% clear on the reason the OP chose this route but kinda defaulted to maybe it was a one time thing?

I also don’t see the point of not using THT since your IC is DIP.

You also get the added benefit of easier routing and less via’s are required.

2 Likes

I suppose OP could bend the legs of a conventional DIP socket (not machined pin type) to become a SM socket. Then they would have to get a footprint with pads spread wider.

Besides taking up more board space and putting more stress on the pads, this would make it impossible to leave out the socket when one is confident of the design. (Unless they want to bend the TH pins of the IC for a pseudo SM part.) Might not be a factor for hobbyist runs off 1 or 3 units or however long it takes to keep the smoke in.

1 Like

The reason ‘why’ is not really relevant to the question, but I’ll explain anyways :wink:

I also don’t see the point of not using THT since your IC is DIP.

I wasn’t 100% clear on the reason the OP chose this route but kinda

Why don’t you want to use a THT socket

Guys, seriously? Mass production, that’s why. Why solder 60+ pins per PCB if you can let your pcb manufactorer put them on for you. I still have enough other non SMD things like screw terminals and headers which I have to solder myself. To use SMD sockets for the 5 IC’s merely saves me some labour. If you already use SMT assembly for resistors and such, you might as well do the sockets as well right?

Now I hear you all thinking, “why not use SMD IC’s instead”? Well because my pcb supplier does either not have what I want or is too expensive. The component crisis is for real. 5 bucks for a soic mcp23017? No thanks.

I don’t expect to remove an IC after inserting it, and this allows me to purchase ICs myself. Unless if a chips proves to be defective.

Also

…which actually takes less board space

For a change I decided to make my design more spacious. There is more than enough space to accomodate a few extra mm for the sockets

I suppose OP could bend the legs of a conventional DIP socket

Why on earth would anybody ever do this :sweat_smile:. That is propably more labour than soldering THT sockets directly.

This is the current state of the design. It is still full THT atm.

I also wanted to use SMD relais, but… sold out :frowning:

That thing with the 4 pads in the bottom is an aliexpress buck converter. And that big thing next to it is an arduino nano (were really cheap… once). So in all likeliness the arduino may become a DIP IC instead of an SMD chip. Safes me from more solder labour. The prices between dip and smd don’t differ that much anymore :frowning:

Kind regards,

Bas

It’s not hard at all with a flat nose plier. After all you say you have only 5 ICs. But you say the assembly house will also do the sockets. Those hybrid sockets are new to me.

The chip shortage is making people do strange things. :flushed:

Hmm, one of the many nice little capabilities of KiCad is to manipulate single Pads AFTER placing. Not only in shape and size but also with position Offsets.
So you can create the desired footprint from a similar one without the need to use the footprint editor ?!

1 Like

Which is why I continued, “defaulted to maybe it was a one time thing?” Turns out that was correct. It wasn’t an issue of continually changing the IC. That’s why I hadn’t offered anything up.

But mainly I was addressing @davidsrsb . :wink:

You should be able to use the footprint SMDIP-18_W11.48mm from the standard library for these sockets. 11.48 mm center to center, 13.48 outside to outside.

HTH

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.