Difficulty with PCBWay requirements

If I recall correctly, there is another plugin for PCBWay as well but I do recommend this one. I never had issues with this one.
Once you submitted your order it will take an hour or two, but sometimes a bit less to get the designs checked by PCBWay. Once that happens you can check your order, and even view it in 3D as well.

You can use the Plugin, but its not needed.

To export for PCBway, use the following settings:

Without assembly:

Zip the resulting files up and the automatic quote tool will work.
PCBWay can handle slots and holes in the edge cuts layer, no need for extra layers for the routing of slots/holes.

With Assembly:

If you are ordering with assembly, they don’t like the X2 format. In that case, be sure to uncheck the Gerber X2 option, and use Postscript as the map file format.

Export the BOM from the Schematics and bring it into the Excel format they like. They have an example you can download. Be sure to remove the DNP components and non-assembly components like mounting holes.

Export the centroid file from PCBNew, they will be able to work with the ASCII format:

As a matter of good practice, your layout should include silk screen markings for each component with polarity and each multi-leg IC to mark the cathode or 1-pin.
PCBWay will send you images of the first assembled board and ask you to check the orientation of all components. Without markings on the silk screen, this exercise will be much harder (and there will be far more mistakes to correct since PCBWay didn’t have any marks to guide them either).

Good information! Many thanks!

If it’s any consolation, I went through the same process of back-and-forth validation struggles with JLCPCB when I first started down this road, although ultimately, once I got it figured out, I was beyond impressed with the quality for the money. And their emails were very specific about what they needed that I had omitted.

In case you’re cost-sensitive: I looked at PCBWay and JLC just looked like the better value for my situation. PCBWay’s shipping looks to be about 30% faster to where I am (Pennsylvania), but a board I got from JLC, including shipping, cost a third of what PCBWay quoted for the same board and the same shipping. (they’re both coming from China-ish) YMMV. I’m doing my work as an otherwise-unemployed entrepreneur, and have iterated on some of these boards 3 or 4 times, so spending $35 a batch is quite a bit more appealing than $95 a batch, even if I have to wait 3 extra days for them.

Best of luck!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.