Difficulty restoring my colors in 6.0

I have updated to 6.0. Perhaps I made one error in (only normal through Windows settings) uninstalling 5.9. But I seem to have maybe a chicken-egg problem in trying to copy some color information from what’s left in my Roaming KiCad 5.99 folder:

If my BobZ1 folder exists, why doesn’t KiCad put the folder on the list so that I can select it?

Application: KiCad (64-bit)

Version: (6.0.0-rc1-59-gd76c6bc884), release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.1.5
libcurl/7.78.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.11

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19043), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: Nov 19 2021 00:01:00
wxWidgets: 3.1.5 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.76.0
OCC: 7.5.0
Curl: 7.78.0-DEV
ngspice: 35
Compiler: Visual C++ 1929 without C++ ABI

Build settings:
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Hmm, I am wondering if the file Bobz1.json contains a theme that is named KiCad Default?

The original implementation had some bugs, so if you were an early adopter of 5.99 it could easily have written files with self-referential errors…

Thanks guys. This is not a big problem. I was able to change a few colors manually, and then also copy paste from one color theme to another with Windows explorer. So it is more a matter of wondering about a possible minor bug than complaining about any major difficulty. But for some reason it seems particularly annoying when the colors I wanted do not magically appear. :no_mouth:

Close KiCad and open that json file in a text editor. Look for a name section, and if it is named KiCad Default, rename it to something else and see if that fixes the problem.

Have you noticed that the new “Plugin and Content manager” has color themes?

True, but @BobZ’s special custom theme isn’t on the menu yet :slight_smile:

1 Like

I understand what you are saying, and I would have done exactly that but I had already:

Through KiCad I named a new theme BobZ2. I changed a couple of colors manually, but then with text editor copied BobZ1 into BobZ2 and deleted BobZ1. That all seemed to work.

Now (somewhat teasing) after your post I indeed did see “KiCad Default” in my BobZ2 file and renamed it to “Something Else.” :slight_smile:

WOOPS I needed to close and restart KiCad. Something else is now there. Note that the filename (BobZ2) does not appear.

No I was not aware of Plugin and Content manager. I have not used plugins unless they operate at wall outlet voltage, and I generally run away from themes. I like to choose colors which make sense to me.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.