Difference in how thermal relief is handled between these two components

In the attached image, the footprint at at the bottom allows filled copper to pass between the pads, but the one on the right does not. They also have thermal relief spokes that are rotated 45 degrees from each other. The footprint at the bottom is one that comes included with the program, while the one on the right is one that I made myself. How do I make mine on the right have the same behaviour as the one on the bottom? All options in the pad settings and footprint settings are the same, so what am I missing?

My guess: one of them has slightly larger clearance between the pads. And because one of them has the thermals on an angle i would also guess that that one has the pad shape set to oval instead of circular.

The oval shape solved both problems, thank you. Somehow the path between the pads was not being filled, despite all clearances and other settings being the same.

1 Like

It was possibly this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1849846. It has been fixed.

1 Like

It might have been an optical (d)illusion on my part, but it looks like the connector that don’t have the copper fill passing through to the middle has a slightly smaller pitch (distance between pins). But I haven’t counted pixels on your screenshot.

1 Like

@SembazuruCDE Same here. It looks like the annular ring is the same size, but the drill hole is different in size.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.