DFPlayer Pro Symbol DFR0768 Location

In the footprint editor creating a new footprint I have the preferences set as in the image.

The dots do not show and the holes do not snap to any grid.

grid .1 inch
kicad6 windows

Grid shows for me in 6.0.10

can you do the same and open up an 0603 SMD resistor for scale.

Also check you don’t have the grid set to the same as the background colour

In the tool bar at the top of the screen around the middle of the worksheet beside the grid value is Zoom value.
Make sure you have scrolled up to at least Zoom = 2.2

I have zoom up and still nothing shows. How does one change grid color. I am working on the front silkscreen which is the default.

I can snap if I place the first hoe at the grid origin.

As @RaptorUK posted, you change themes in Preferences > Colors and then click on the coloured rectangle.

First you must change the “Theme”. Kicad default is “read only”.
Click on the small arrow, then “new theme”, give it a name. The colors will still show as the Kicad colors, but now they can be changed to whatever you wish.

If you are having trouble seeing the grid, change the “value” in the color picker to 255, and maybe change the colour with the circle.
You also have defined colours on the second tab.

Don’t forget to left click all the OKs.

Do you have the grid hidden ?

1 Like

An easy way to get started with your footprint is to “save as” a suitable Kicad footprint into your personal footprint library and modify it.

Fig.1 was “Package DIP > DIP-12_W7.62mm_socket_LongPads”.
After placing this in my personal library, I then moved the row of pads “6 to 12” until the two rows of pads were .8 in. apart. Fig.2
The pads are now correct for your footprint so all you need to do is to correct the graphic lines F.Silk, F.Fab & F.courtyard to match your component.

Using this method for creating footprints is usually quick and easy with a bit of practice.

1 Like

Grid is on. Thanks for the idea. Every time I try to solve somrthing I learn something new

1 Like

I will try that. I made one and am trying to add the traces. some refuse to connect. i wonder if i t is related to the alternate oin names

If you are trying to add new pieces of trace to the existing traces, you will possibly find grids are different between the two.

It is often easier to draw a complete and new graphic line shape close to the original lines and when finished, delete that original.

Please translate :slightly_smiling_face:

:wink:

(20 characters are needed.)

Never thought of that one. Pretty obvious now, looking at the keyboard. I’m definitely turning turned into a silly old fart. :frowning_face:

I get to this point. How do I save it to a personal library. I know it should be basic knowledge but for reasons I would rather not discuss I am a bit slopw off te mark. Thank you for the help

Have you loaded and then modified a Kicad symbol into the Symbol Editor without first saving it into a personal library?

Ah, I see what you have done.
You have started to make the footprint in the PCB Editor.

Do this exactly:

• Save that PCB.
  • Open the Footprint Editor
  • Click File > New Footprint
  • Type the name and select “Other” footprint type. press OK in the opened box.
  • Save, and a new box will open. Check that the name is correct then scroll through the library list, find and highlight your personal library and click the Save in the box.

If you have done this correctly, on the left you should see your personal library open with the name of the footprint highlighted.

• Minimize your Footprint Editor and open your PCB Editor
  • Select all the work you have done for the footprint and Right click > Copy.
  • Minimize the PCB Editor, Maximize the Footprint Editor.
  • Paste your work into the Footprint Editor and Save.
  • Set your Anchor (third button from bottom RHS), make sure your dimensions are still correct and Save.
  • Continue creating footprint and delete what is on the PCB Editor.

The normal way to create/modify a footprint is to first place the Kicad footprint in a personal library then modify, as I mentioned a few posts ago.

To do that,

• Find and highlight a Kicad footprint,
  • File > Save as.
  • Rename part and select Personal Library,
  • Save
    All done and ready to modify.

My bed time, goodnight.

It’s o530. I took my first sip of coffee and turned the computer on. You have made a great start of my day. Thank you!
Gary

2 Likes

Based on your help I have gone back to the beginning.

I find that using the system using the dip files is fast and easy. And I recommend highly that anyone that reads this try it.

But I must have a an incorrect setting somewhere. All my efforts end up with errors that footprints show no net found the pad not found.

Can you point me in a direction? I have been usiing the footprint editor.

Gary

Your schematic symbol and your footprint must be in harmony . . . meaning, if you use a symbol with pins 1 - 5 defined you can’t use a footprint with pins 1-3 and 7 & 8 even though it has 5 pins. The pin numbers must match.

In the schematic when you have a wire to pin 3 then that creates a net and that net is copied over to the PCB when you sync the Schematic to the PCB.

This what have. Still no net and pad errors. I matched pad locations with the schematic.
footprint

oops. wrong image… woill reload