Determine distance between centre of a pad and edge of the board

Within properties only absolute position are shown.
As you can’t reset absolute (which would be very useful),
Is there a better way than tying to move the whole board corner to 0,0,absolute?
That makes the drawing looks bad on the sheet, since 0,0 is outside sheet border!
Can’t snap to centre as the centre of the pad had to be placed off grid setting.
If moving, you have use Local or grid Origin so why can’t properties show both like a drop down selection?

By pressing space you can set relative coordinate origin. Move mouse to board corner (assuming it’s rectangular), press space and then move it to center of the pad. You will see relative distance in the status bar below.

Hi qu1ck,
thanks for your reply.
The only thing with that method is you need to guess where the centre of the pad/mounting hole is, as cursor won’t snap to centre.
Using properties, the precise X & Y is given but its with reference to absolute as stated in my original post.
The centre measurement have to be exact, as a moulding has to be made.
The PCB will be screwed to the moulding via the mounting holes.
I was using the lower left corner as datum.
If moving the whole board precisely to 0,0, of absolute, then it the top left corner that is snapped to that position.
It looks very unprofessional as part of the board is outside the sheet border.

If you need it that precise then just take absolute positions of pad and edge cut and subtract them.
Or you can temporarily move the board so that it’s corner is in absolute 0,0 and do the adjustments you need, move it back once board is ready.
In v6 setting arbitrary axis origin will be possible.

1 Like

Maybe the measure tool is better suited here. (Select the measure tool, snap to the pad center and left click, snap to one endpoint of the edge cut line -> read your measurement in either x or y direction. If necessary use the alt key to ensure no snapping to grid happens and you really snap to the interesting point)

2 Likes

I am starting to use KiCad.
I have decided to not have a sheet border and place my PCB to have a center at 0,0.
Later I decided to use cross instead of border (0,-100 to 0,100 and -100,0 to 100,0) regarding ltcorner so I have X,Y coordinate system lines.

Have you tried to set Preferences - Pcbnew - Magnetic Points - Snap to Pads to Always?

1 Like

Hi All,
Thank you for all the great suggestions.
This is a really helpful forum.
Where I was going wrong was starting from the edge and going to the the centre of the pad/hole which it never snaps.
However it snaps if I start from the pad/hole and go to the edge of the board.
I’m happy with that.
I will let yo know if have any further issues regarding this.

Thank you, that is interesting.
Do you know when V6 will be first available including nightly builds?

My guess is 2 years or possibly more till v6. Nightlies are by definition available every day so i am not sure what you ask for here.

Thank you.

When V6 will start appearing in the nightly builds.

Nightlies are what will become v6. There is not one magic day when we can call them v6 it is a slow process of continuous progress.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.