Designing with nodemcu

HI
I am just starting to use kicad for my projects. I created the schematic with symbol nodemcu 1.0 that I found in the downloaded esp8266 but it doesn’t have a “footprint” associated with it.

If Anyone has already created the footprint I would greatly appreciate getting the library for it.

Thanks

Meir

a generic soic or whatever should do. what mcu is it ?

HI
Thanks for your swift response…

its a esp8266 developement module

regards

Meir

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/891/0b-esp8266_system_description_en-1223809.pdf p.26 this might help

Thanks . as i mentioned i am just looking for the “footprint” to associate it for the board layout…

Regards

Meir

If it is a development model that is meant to be plugged into a bread board then you probably need to make a footprint which should be easy enough for something like this as it is just a bunch of pads on a grid. Trust me on this one. You will spend more time looking for something like this than learning to make the footprint which you will have to do eventually anyhow. I’m pretty sure the FAQ has this covered. A link to the module would be helpful so we could see the module specs.

EDIT: In fact, if you want to just plug the module onto the board instead of solder it into place you just need to put headers down.

This is the “footprint” I used in a project a while ago. I can’t say it is in a format you cans use as I am using the nightlies.

I made a board with it and all seemed fine.

NodeMCU1.0(12-E).kicad_mod (13.0 KB)

UPDATE: I forgot to mention when you have any footprint with more that two leads it is wise to print out the gerber at 1:1 and lay the component on it (if you have one) to be sure it is correct. Look especially for footprints being inverted or your board is a different form factor etc. How do I know this… been there done that … learned.

John

4 Likes

@johnrob …thanks… is this file a “lib” file? how do i open/add it to my kicad installation

Regards

Meir

I’m a little shaky here but try opening the footprint editor and importing the file I attached.

Now the question is where to save it. I setup a JohnRob folder away from the kicad libraries and in that folder I have:

• 3dpackages
  • library
  • modules

I save all my new or generated symbols, footprints and any 3d I was able to download in these folders.

You will have to look and the documentation or other forum posts to see how to make Kicad understand these folders and have the contents show up in the tables.

Sorry I couldn’t help more.

John

@JohnRob …Thanks I attempted to import to the footprint editor i get the following error

Greatly appreciate your help so far :slight_smile:

I’m using the latest beta (aka nighely) version. I can import the file I sent you with no errors.

My version is below. I know some of the file structures have changed.

Hopefully some of the other forum members have some idea why you get the error.

John

Application: KiCad

Version: (5.99.0-3862-g7e974e5ccc), release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.5
libcurl/7.71.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1g (Schannel) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.3.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.3.0) libssh2/1.9.0 nghttp2/1.41.0

Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: Oct 8 2020 10:08:52
wxWidgets: 3.0.5 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.73.0
OCE: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.71.0
ngspice: 32
Compiler: GCC 10.2.0 with C++ ABI 1014

Build settings:
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

@JohnRob

I upgraded my version and now i have the footprint … thanks a million :slight_smile:

Meir

Make sure that you understand that the 5.99 version that you have downloaded is a potentially unstable development version. It is not a release version, has not been fully tested and may suffer from bugs/crashes etc. It is NOT backward compatible with the 5.1.x versions (which is why the footprint wouldn’t open). It is not recommended for production work at present. Having said that, it is really helpful for the devs to have people run and test this and report any problems.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.