Default pad properties

I have one QFN footprint with power pad consisting of:

• square pad at F.Cu,
  • square pad at B.Cu,
  • some through hole pads as vias at power pad.
    I copied the other QFN footprint from KiCad library and wanted to change its power pad to be similar.

Opening first footprint I selected one of through hole pads, right clicked and selected “Copy Pad Properties to Default”.
Pad0

Then I opened new footprint, clicked from right side tools: “Add a pad” and I got Pad 25 being added:

A moment ago I was adding at bottom power pad the same as at top and I needed not to edit its dimensions so it was default those time. From that I see that “Copy Pad Properties to Default” have some effect. Through hole pads dimension is 0.6. Pad 25 dimension is 0.9x0.6 so they have something in common :slight_smile:
Is it a bug or it is how V6 is expected to work but I just don’t understand something (it is my first day using V6).

Application: KiCad Footprint Editor (64-bit)

Version: (6.0.6), release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.1.6
libcurl/7.82.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.12

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19044), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: Jun 26 2022 02:39:06
wxWidgets: 3.1.6 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.79.0
OCC: 7.6.0
Curl: 7.82.0-DEV
ngspice: 37
Compiler: Visual C++ 1929 without C++ ABI

Build settings:
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

"Copy Pad Properties to Default” is a little bit weird/cumbersome. It takes into account the footprint component type so with a “SMD”-component you never get a THT-Pad as default (and the other way around).
There was already a issue/discussion regarding this topic on gitlab. But I didn’t spend much attention. (because my workflow doesn’t uses the default-pad-setting, I create the first pad with correct sizes/parameters and the following pads are mostly copied/pasted).

I typically copy KiCad footprint then edit first pad and need to copy its properties to the rest. In V5 I used Copy Pad Properties and Paste Pad Properties. In V6 I see it is little different.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.