Default color scheme burn my eyes a lot. And idea color setting to share?

Look lovely! I like those. If component use same color but little bit darker will me low-key light on high-key light and might be more pretty but overall I like it!

Hope the theme to be select is more and can color custom adjust-able. So maybe we can see some color-full theme to choose and fun. :heart_eyes:

Guys Iā€™m seriously banging my head on the table while Iā€™m trying to figure out how to change the colors in kicad.

For eeschema Iā€™ve found out that there is a color picker thing and thats fine, but Iā€™m lost on how to do the same thing for pcbnew. Iā€™d really like to be sure that in order to change those colors I need to recompile kicad, as Iā€™m not into compiling stuffā€¦

@c4757p Could you share your settings file, with the Solarized palette theme enabled? That would really be a cool thing!

Thanks again to all,
Carlo

Sure, paste this into the config file in place of the existing colors - ~/.config/kicad/eeschema on Linux, not sure where on other systems.

ColorWireEx=rgb(88, 110, 117)
ColorBusEx=rgb(38, 139, 210)
ColorConnEx=rgb(88, 110, 117)
ColorLLabelEx=rgb(88, 110, 117)
ColorHLabelEx=rgb(133, 153, 0)
ColorGLabelEx=rgb(159, 37, 35)
ColorPinNumEx=rgb(7, 54, 66)
ColorPinNameEx=rgb(7, 54, 66)
ColorFieldEx=rgb(101, 123, 131)
ColorReferenceEx=rgb(101, 123, 131)
ColorValueEx=rgb(101, 123, 131)
ColorNoteEx=rgb(38, 139, 210)
ColorBodyEx=rgb(0, 43, 54)
ColorBodyBgEx=rgb(238, 232, 213)
ColorNetNameEx=rgb(132, 132, 132)
ColorPinEx=rgb(0, 43, 54)
ColorSheetEx=rgb(132, 0, 132)
ColorSheetFileNameEx=rgb(181, 137, 0)
ColorSheetNameEx=rgb(0, 132, 132)
ColorSheetLabelEx=rgb(133, 153, 0)
ColorNoConnectEx=rgb(38, 139, 210)
ColorErcWEx=rgb(133, 153, 0)
ColorErcEEx=rgb(220, 50, 47)
ColorGridEx=rgb(171, 171, 171)
ColorBgCanvasEx=rgb(253, 246, 227)
1 Like

Middle click on the colors in the layer panel on the right.

I feel so stupid now. Thanks again for your time

Small problem, I canā€™t find that file. Should I create it from scratch?

Thanks again

EDIT:
The path should be ~/.config/kicad/eeschema

Lol, because you didnā€™t think to middle click? Iā€™ve been arguing to fix that for ages now, everyone tries a single left click. But people insist a single click there should select the layer insteadā€¦

Oopsie. Yes.

I needed some sleep, thatā€™s just all :grin:

EDIT:
If you hover the mouse over the layer menu a little floating notification will pop up telling you what click does what.
EDIT 2:
There is a way to change the black background to something lighter?

Yeah, but almost nobody notices the tooltip. They just slam their mouse button on the color swatch until they give upā€¦

No, the black background cannot currently be changed. Hopefully this will be fixedā€¦

I knew it!

*looks around for a camera*

OK, now tell me, where did you hide it?
:angry:

2 Likes

Iā€™m working on a Solarized-based (though a bit more loosely) scheme for pcbnew that works well for higher layer countsā€¦

So far:

• Front/back as red/green is kept
  • Layers normally used for power/ground are darker; signal layers stand out more
  • Front/back pairs of technical layers use light/dark variants of the same color
  • Any time a color is reused or very similar to another color, use that color for something very different. Example: B.Fab and In2.Cu are the same color, but these layers have such drastically different content that youā€™ll always be able to tell them apart.

Of course to respect ā€œbrighter signal layersā€, a different scheme will be needed per stackup. I think it will soon be possible to save and load color schemes (if not Iā€™ll add it myself laterā€¦), so maybe Iā€™ll create a bunch.

Hopefully itā€™s possible to set the background soon. Shouldnā€™t be hard to add, but I donā€™t have much time to do it myself.

3 Likes

If you can give me some clues on how to implement it, I may try.

I gave a quick look at the Kicad source, and itā€™s by far the most complex thing Iā€™ve seen, so a small crash course would be really appreciated(:seedling:).

Hoping that I didnā€™t ask too much :slight_smile:,
Carlo

EDIT:
Iā€™ve tried out your color scheme :thumbsup: Even without knowing the precise colors it looks already better. A side question, its only me or pcbnew shifts the colors on the dark side?

As with most things in KiCad, itā€™s a bit harder than it looksā€¦I actually have background color implemented, except it doesnā€™t work in OpenGL for some reason I donā€™t understand and Iā€™ve passed it along to someone more familiar with OpenGLā€¦

Yes and no. The colors themselves arenā€™t modified, but the layers are slightly transparent by default, so the black background shows through a bit. You can change the opacity of the selected layer with { and }.

1 Like

Ok, fine. I guessed that it was kinda complicatedā€¦

@c4757p I pasted the color numbers into your palette, so if other people want to try it out itā€™s a bit easier.

Thanks again,
Carlo

1 Like

Thse color make colourful experience! Good to have more choice. I read somewhere in forum , kicad try to move feature toward to opengl. So it good these color theme also transfer too :heart_eyes:

Thank you! I didnā€™t do that yet because I donā€™t really consider the palette complete - I still want to pick colors for things like vias, and make sure everything is clear against the background once I get background color working. But I will make sure to add these in any updates as well.

For what itā€™s worth, on Linux the color picker can select a color from anywhere on the screen, so you can just click directly on the image to select the colors. Is that not available on Windows or macOS?

WoW, I will add it to the list ā€œThings that I donā€™t know about linuxā€!

Ciao,
Carlo

EDIT:
For clarity, the list should be called ā€œThings that i donā€™t know about GTK or wxGTKā€
:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

More specifically either GTK or wxGTK.

Hey, does anyone know where the equivalent ~/.config/kicad/xxx lives on a mac? I was hoping it was in the same place or some place under the /Applications/kicad directory, but I canā€™t seem to find it. Just trying to sync between a few different computers. I somehow have different schematic fields on my mac vs my linux machinesā€¦ Iā€™m thinking I will link them to a common file living on dropbox, thus: make a change on one machine, it changes everywhere:)

~/Library/Preferences/kicad/

2 Likes