Debian vs. Mint vs. Arch

Thanks for responding hermit. What percentage of KiCad developers do you think use Debian or Debian forks vs Arch?

This is pretty much the same conclusion I’ve come to. Thanks.

I have to agree with you on this, really I am not a fan of Canonical … I am a CentOS user because of my job nature, now we CentOS users are left in the dark :smiley: I can only think of Oracle Linux at the moment, myself I don’t like Debian that much. I used CentOS because it had SELinux out of the box as in RHEL, now it no longer matters as there will be no more CentOS. BTW, Arch Linux is worth it.

1 Like

I’m a KiCad occasional contributor and I’ve using Mint since long years :slight_smile:

As a fellow Linux user, I have to say that distributions do not matter. If you can’t install a program from your repository (apt in that case), you can always build it from source. KiCad is in GitHub so you shouldn’t have a problem with that whatsoever.

All things said, I do hate Debian. It looks like the system sabotages itself. I’m currently using Arch in my main machine but I have a Mint installation in our robot soccer development PC and things run without problems.

Best.

1 Like

Minor correction for the point you are making, major correction if someone actually wants to compile from source… KiCad migrated from Launchpad to GitLab, not GitHub.

1 Like

Arch is not more or less complicated than other Linux systems. The big difference is that they don’t make the decisions for the user. In return, the user has to make those decisions. One could argue making decisions is hard, but it does allow for users to shape the system the way they want.

Being a professional developer only defines that person gets payed for doing it. It says nothing about the technical knowledge of that person. I’m using arch, but nobody pays me to do so.

Current screenshot from https://github.com/kicad:

Exactly. Mint is fine.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.