DB62 and Pin Receptacle Symbols

That depends on your intended use-case.

Edge pin offset depends on the way the connector will be monted with respect to a present front/mounting plate off the pcb edge.

The two left/right mounts can be mounted in at least three different ways.

• behind a front plate
  • in front of that plate
  • flush with either surface of the plate

Plenty of room for confusion as to how those connectors should be mounted.

The intended type of plug with its housing can make a difference.

Also if there will be a lock mechanism or not.

It should actually be a ~3.2 mm hole.

I am setting up my footprint now for the 62 pin and a couple of questions come up.
I have laid out the pins according to the datasheet.
For the footprint, I borrowed and modified one from the library.

1. Does the actual drawing of the rectangles which form the shape etc matter at this time?
  2. Is there somewhere that I need to put the distance to the edge of the board or does that come later?
  3. What other information do I need for the footprint?
  4. I have a 3.4 mm mounting hole on each side which solders to the board. What is my drill size and annular ring size? I see a few different ways of calculating these. Is there a standard?
  • this is a matter of footprint courdyard clearances, you want to double check
  • it’s better to be excact because once it’s drilled that’s it
  • a good practice is always (if possible) to have the actual part in your hand, datasheets often define more space than needed in some cases, beware of part differences by manufacturer, they are NOT always identical even if claimed to be so
  • if mounted by screw no annular required other than for a potential ground if applicable

Can be quite tricky stuff all up.

Okay I think I have the proper coordinates for everything on my footprint. Could someone have a look at this and see if I am missing anything? One thing I took out of the exiting footprint was an arc that joined the two lines going from the PCB edge to each side of the mounting holes. Does that matter? Other than that, I think I am done.

Do you have a physical connector?
If so then this is a easy way to test fit before ordering PCB’s:

Also, the visual stuff of the connector symbol in Eeschema does not have to look the same as the physical connector. Pins can be mixed up just as IC pins are usually grouped in logical functions. This can make drawing the schematic a lot easier. You will learn more tricks when you get more experience with KiCad.

Thank you. This is a great lesson and it is good knowing that you can print it off and physically compare the two. Awesome post.

So for the banana jacks which will form the 62 connections for my DVOM, I am using banana_jack_1Pin.

1. Do I edit this in the Footprint Editor and then save it as a library as well?
  2. Do I have to save this 62 times with different numbers or is there a faster way to do this?
  3. The part that goes through the PCB is roughly 0.078"(1.9812mm) in diameter. Is a 2mm hole large enough?
  4. What size should the annular ring be? The outer measurement is roughly 0.220" on the old board. That equates to roughly 5.588mm.
    The tubes are roughly 0.200" (5.08mm) in diameter.
  5. Does anyone know where to source these banana jack receptacles?

First bit of advise… Don’t design or plan on any footprint until you know that you have or can have the part that fits in-hand. Otherwise it is just a waste of time.

Once you have a part in hand, or a reliable source for a part, use a footprint that matches what the datasheet says for that specific part. Either design your own, or verify one that already exsists.

Good advice. I do have all of the banana jack receptacles in hand but I cannot find a datasheet for it. These are hard to source by the looks of it unless I am not calling them by their right name.
The pin that goes through the board is in the area of 0.076-0.078" in diameter. The tube itself measures 0.200"

Can someone explain the different rings in this footprint?
The yellow one is the copper or annular ring.
The blue one is the white line that is printed on the face of the PCB?
What are the two white lines? They are F.Fab and F.Crtyd
Once I have them modified to fit my pin, how do I save them to my library to use in my project?

Take a look to the documentation, in your case specially to the fabrication layer and the courtyard layer.

In summary the courtyard helps you to define the area around your component that should be free of other components and the fab layer, helps you with manufacturing.

Hope this helps.

I noticed that my 62 pin receptacle is drawn completely but when I put it into 3D mode, the nuts and bezel (metal parts) look like they are part of the footprint. This part of the connector should hang out over the PCB edge. Is there a way to make this happen at this stage or does that occur when I am laying out the PCB?

I thought you already have a schematic with all those single-pin connectors labeled J1, J2, etc? You put a screenshot of it here on the 9th.

You want to assign your banana jack footprint to the symbols in the schematic. Then when you update the board from the schematic a footprint for each of the J1, J2, etc as well as for your DC-62 connector should be ready for you to place around the board and for you to route the copper traces.

All good. I am on the PCB now and they all show up with proper pin numbers so somewhere I did something right. Now I just have to figure out my 62 pin question above your last reply.

Okay I am closing in on this. Here is where I am with a new question.
Is there a way to have a starting coordinate (0,0) with which to base all my measurements on?
I am asking because then I can just go by measurements. Or is this where I need to look at the grid and use that as my system?

If you look at the bottom of the screen you should see the dx, dy, distance parameters. You can temporarily move the reference for those coordinates with the space bar. (Press space-bar and they will zero to where your pointer is in the design area.) There are some other clever grid hacks that I’ve seen others mention for helping layout things like this. I don’t have experience using them so hopefully someone will be able to chime in with detailed directions.

@SembazuruCDE I have been using the space bar trick but was hoping there was a better or faster way of doing it. Oh well, math is good so i will keep on plugging away.

As far as I know there is no real way to change the origin point.
Some people use a custom empty paper template, with no title block nor border, and then draw the PCB itself around the (0,0) coordinate.

I assume you want to put all the Banana’s on some kind of grid. You can set a grid origin point and spacing for snapping, which helps with this.

Tip:
All your ratsnest lines are crossing.
If you select all the banana’s then press m for move and r for rotate a few times, you can detangle the Banana footprints with little effort.

Is there a way to lock your edge cuts in place or your components once you have them where you want them so you don’t accidentally move them?
How do you set the grid origin point and spacing for snapping?
Is that just using the spacebar and the grid pattern?