DB62 and Pin Receptacle Symbols

Good evening,
Fairly new to KiCAD. Looking to build a simple breakout box using pin receptacles and a DB62 connector. Can someone tell me where I can find a DB62 symbol and how do I represent a pin receptacle. these would be soldered to the PCB board, roughly 3/4" in length where a banana jack would plug in. This could be used to plug a DVOM into. Thank you in advance for your help.

Since there does not appear to be a db62 symbol start with the e.g. db37. Save it as db62 in you own symbol library. Load it from there and change to a db62.
Strangly, a db62 footprint and its 3d symbol is available.

1 Like

Thank you @jos. I found the part in Digikey. It is A-HDS 62 A-KG/T and there is a 3D drawing but no schematic symbol or footprint. I thought someone would have don one by now.

Those db’s are not that much used these days. You are lucky to have at least some high pin count db’s.

Easiest is to just extend an existing db to yout needs.

If you go to

http://componentsearchengine.com/

you should find all you need for
A-HDS 62 A-KG/T

Their symbols and 3d shapes tend to be somewhat simple (lazily auto generated) hence require mostly a rework.

I’d rather put that time into a new design from scratch.

I found it more efficient to fetch symbols and/or 3d models directly from the actual manufacturer’s site. Quality is way better.

This is all new to me so this could be a large learning curve. I have tried this program a couple of times and was hoping it would get easier but sometimes I find myself totally lost. I will give it a go and see what happens. I just figured someone would have a library on these already.
Also, what do I use for a symbol to represent a banana jack receptacle? They are about 0.200" in diameter and about 0.750" in length. They solder into the board and you can plug banana jacks into them.

Anybody use SnapEDA? There seems to be a symbol in there?

?

That is more than likely the footprint am looking for. What would I use for the schematic symbol? Thank you @hermit Much appreciated.

Any single connector will do for the schematic. You don’t need a specific ‘banana’ jack symbol.

First a bit about terminology, just to be clear:
There are schematic symbols, and there are Footprints. The schematic symbols are just a graphical representation and are used in Eeschema, Footprints are the representations you see in Pcbnew.

The link between pins in the Symbol and the Footprint is very simple, the pin names have to match, that is all. So you can use any single pin connector, test point or similar Symbol and assign it to your Banana Jack Footprint.

When I need a custom schematic symbol or Footprint in KiCad I usually make it myself. Bot the Symbol Editor and the Footprint Editor work very good, and when I go this route I know in advance I can make my custom footprint, while when I start searching the 'net, it’s easy to spend a lot of time without knowing in advance if it will even be successful.

More info here:
https://forum.kicad.info/search?q=create%20footprint%20category%3A19

The first few Schematic Symbols and Footprints you make will take some time, but the learning curve is not very steep. And once you’ve mastered this you can also make custom footprints for “weird” things that are guaranteed to not exist elsewhere.

Footprints for connectors are also notorious for being very specific to the real part. There are several hundred of USB connectors for example, and for the DB connectors, the distance from the pins to the flange can vary a lot.

3 Likes

Thank you guys for the help. I am just reading through the Getting started 5.1.6 tutorial and it is very thorough. I just find there to be a lot of steps to get from A-Z and i am sure once I have done a few, i will understand it much better. My first few are going to be very simple boards so I think I will get it. I came from the school of etching my own boards with ferric chloride and single sides so this is a bit of a process for me. I do think it will have great benefits once I get it.

1 Like

Sounds like a FAQ? :wink:
First a bit about terminology, just to be clear:

Which way do you number the symbol when you are drawing it? For example am I numbering it looking at it face on or from the backside of the connector? So with the 62 pin, if I starter from the bottom left, what pin am I looking at on the schematic or does it matter?
Also, does my spacing on pins matter at this point or is that more for the footprint?

No need to draw it all as one symbol. For schematic legibility these can be broken up and numbered ANY way you like. The symbol pin number however MUST match the correct footprint pin number.

On the DB 37, it looks as though each pin is made of two parts. How do I make the pin part? I can find the part that says passive with the line but not the colored dot with the line.

I am in that box but I do not see a male pin to attach to the passive stub.

Also what is number of units per package?
Should I use passive or bi-directional?

Units per package depends on how you want to break up the package in your schematic. Do you really want ONE big connector or does it make sense to break it up into different units for different parts of your schematic for legibility purposes?

Start here:

Not sure if this is covered in the tutorial:

1 Like

Putting on my pedantic hat here… :man_student:

There is no such thing as a DB-62. The B shell size for the D family is only standardly defined for 25, 44, and 52 pin variants. I think you really mean a DC-62 (which is the high density variant of the normal density DC-37). See this Wikipedia page:

The KiCad standard libraries (as distributed with v5.1.6) makes the “error” of calling all D-sub connectors “DB#” regardless of the shell size. (I put error in quotes because the common usage doesn’t follow the original specification…)

Feel free to go back to your original conversation. :nerd_face:

2 Likes