Datasheet Project Path

Hello all,

we are a few people working together on projects using KiCAD and GIT. For project documentation I would like to add the correct datasheets in Eeschema to the relevant parts.
The idea is to add the datasheets for the project into the project folder and match it with their respective parts. The whole folder is then pushed via GIT, so the others can pull it. When I assign a datasheet on my GIT path to the part in Eeschema it is not available for others due to folder path differences.
Is there a possibility to use some kind of KiCAD project path that relates the datasheet direct to the Eeschema file?

Thanks in advance!
Vicodin

A good starting point would be my Archive project plugin. You can either take the code on Github and change it accordingly, but I’d rather see a contribution so a PR would be great. If you don’t feel like coding you should at leas raise an issue on GitHub, so that I have things to do collected all in one place.

I doubt this plugin is needed in this case. Especially as the documentation is somewhere inside the project directory.
Simply prefix the path with ${KIPRJMOD} to alert kicad to the fact that the file is somewhere under the project directory.

Example: ${KIPRJMOD}/docu/components/component1.pdf will search for a component1.pdf file under the currently opend project in the subfolder components that is again in the subfolder docu.

You could also try to use other (or better personal) path variables if you want a more central storage option.
If you have central symbols then you just need to ensure that the documentation files live in the same sub directory for all projects and that the documentation of a particular part always has the same name.

1 Like

Thank you all!

The solution of Rene_Poschl worked fine!

The central storage option is something I thought about. But I like to mark special parts or circuit variants in the datasheet for the particular application. Therefor a central storage would just cause confusion.

Best regards,
Vicodin.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.