Database Library: MySQL

Hello,
i heard on the KiCon Talks that Database Libraries are now available.
Wondering if a connection to an online mysql database could be possible.
Would be nice for syncing multiple users to one database.

Is there a tutorial or similar available?

Best,
Michael

Below another active question about setting up a database for KiCad:

From what I understand, you have to do a bit of programming or make some setup files to interface KiCad with the external database, and as a result KiCad is not even aware of what database back end is being use. It is only aware of the interface. I guess this means you can use any database back end, and real time syncing either over a LAN or the internet.

If an online mysql database would exists, than it could be possible (using odbc).
In my limited knowledge, i don’t think that a online (as on the internet) accessible mysql db exists or if is even a good idea (but i suspect not).

I think that is common practice to hide the mysql user access behind some kind on interface.
For example this project GitHub - Part-DB/Part-DB-server: Part-DB is an Open source inventory management system for your electronic components uses a MySQL/MariaDB but i suppose that the user does not connect to the DB directly via odbc.

This is an interesting topic, i’d like to hear from other users how they do that.

PS. the topic could be sensed as not strongly related to KiCad, so maybe it will not stay open long… :slight_smile:

Is this available, by default, in the Altium software? If so what’s the big issue with including this, by default, also in the KiCad software?

“PS. the topic could be sensed as not strongly related to KiCad, so maybe it will not stay open long… :slight_smile:

Isn’t this very much related to KiCad?

Web accessible database designing and management? not exactly.

1 Like

Well, I mean the complete “concept” – to incorporate awesome KiCad library functions which makes the software speeding up – forward! – like the best of rocket science (but easy/natural for the user)!

Using InvenTree or other similar software is my recommendation for doing this “online” (meaning, over the internet)

I would not expose a database library (MySQL or other) over the internet. I would only use such a library on a private network (local network or VPN).

1 Like

craftyjon, what is the bad thing with exposing a cad library over the internet?

ill just leave this here…

and on a more serious note… a recent “bug” was open at gitea and it was downto a public facing forge being hacked and malicious url being injected.

1 Like

And that means what for people not being programmers or hackers, for simple mac users since long time ago?

It means that people with very little to no experience with programming should not be exposing stuff on the internet, where there are a lot of bored people who think it’s fun to wreak other people’s work.

And this goes from kid’s playing around to criminal organizations hijacking databases and everything in between.

Thanks paulvdh, that’s a nice and legible explanation! I will wait until hopefully the KiCad developers decide to include better library functions into the software, no more questions from me about this. KiCad has many other very good functions, and let’s hope for more!

If you don’t want people messing with your car you lock it away in a garage, if you don’t people stealing your cash you put it in a safe or at the bank . . . if you don’t want people messing with your data don’t put it where they can get to it, and if you do you have to expose it then make sure it can only be accesses in they way you want by the people you want.

There is one of you and many many “hackers” (malicious people). It’s sad I know . . .

Yes, let’s wait and see if the great KiCad developers soon can manage this in a positive & safe manner which is safe and easy for non-programmers to use!

It’s not upto the KiCad developers in my opinion . . . if it’s your database and your data in that database it’s upto you how you expose that data. If you make it secure and you configure KiCad with the information to be authenticated on the database then it will gain access . . . but that also caries some risk unless you encrypt the communication channel between KiCad and the database.

1 Like

Thats the real question …
What is the OP hoping for.

Wondering if a connection to an online mysql database could be possible.

Yes, IF someone made available some database and some DBC mechanism then sure any user in theory should be able to but that is risky and also one persons view of the db schema will not align to others (there is a reason why my $werk actually has >10 “central component db” because no one sub-unit can agree on the additional information to be stored outside of pn,symbol and footprint)

IF the expectation is that Kicad provides and manages said db … well that’s a totally different question. Now if kicad intent to express the provided components via an sqlite for local querying maybe just maybe.

Wow, this is getting more and more complicated :slight_smile:

@craftyjon is there inventree support on kicad library?
Could also be interesting to use that tool…

InvenTree is a separate project from KiCad and has nothing to do with KiCad’s library directly.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.