Dark theme on linux mint

I cant find anything on how to manually change the theam to dark mode I’m sure there is a post somewhere but I cant find any mention of how to do it manual as mine wont default. All I can find is people talking about windows stuff like 5 years ago and it genuinely hurts my eyes to look at.

Quite literally after this it finally switched to dark them. Ive restarted a few time updated and gone threw every setting i could think of.

What Mint are you using?
What Kicad are you using?
Do you want the whole of Kicad dark or just the schematic workspace?

Please be more explicit with your questions.

Linux Mint 20.3 and KiCad 7.0.10 (from flathub) and to be more clear of what I want here is an image of what I have. I will have to redownload this over to my laptop when it arrives.

Below is the whole Kicad/Mint truth table :slightly_smiling_face:

Kicad changes are made with the red arrow functions in Preferences. You will have to open your Kicad theme to find which , and from where, the dark theme originated.

Mint light/Kicad light

Mint light/Kicad dark

Mint dark/ Kicad light

Mint dark/Kicad dark

1 Like

@aurora
There are many themes in the Plugin Manager. The one you want is probably there.

so as a clarification on the last image you have both the theme in KiCAD set to dark and the theme on your computer set to dark?

Yes.

I have both sent to dark and its still on light mode

To get a Kicad dark theme on your screen:

• Open “Plugin and Content Manager”.
  • Select “Color Themes”
  • Scroll through the list, find a suitable Theme.
  • Select “Install” (will now show Pending Changes)
  • From the selection bars at the bottom of this window, select “Apply Pending Changes”.
  • When the progress bars at the top of the new window show complete, Close.
    Next:
  • Open Kicad.
  • Go to Preferences > Preferences > Schematic Editor > Colors.
    At the top you will see “Theme”
  • Click on the small arrow head at the RHS and you will see the new theme you have installed somewhere in the list of available themes.
  • Select that theme then OK.

If a theme is “read only” and you wish to change something eg. the brightness of the grid. You need to copy that theme to a new personal theme first.

As an example: you wish to change the color of ratlines in the Kicad Classic (read only) theme.

• Place Kicad Classic in the theme box.
  • Click on the arrow in the theme box.
  • Select “New Theme” (bottom of the list), give the new theme a name then click OK

The Kicad Classic theme is now copied to your newly named theme, so, as your newly named theme, it is no longer read only.

• Scroll through the list of items available to change.
  • Click on the color sample for ratlines and change to whatever you wish, then OK.