Dark mode for user interface

Hi

It would be nice to have a dark mode for the user interface. I don’t mean the colors of the schematics or pcb but the menus, buttons, … of kicad itself.

That could be handy to work because it’s easier on the eyes.

for example see dark mode of this music player

Lisa

Below you see two screenshots of what 7.99 Nightly looks like in fedora linux with KDE and dark theme.
Is it something to that direction you wish for?

There are a bunch of ‘Themes’ available from the plug in manager, myself I use one called ‘Witch Hazel’ not sure if thats what your looking for but worth a look otherwise try just internetting it :smiley: Regarding electronics apart from YouTube things like Texas Instruments simulators (TINA) have demo schematics of simple 555 timer projects that you can study and if you feel realy brave actualy run them and change stuff :partying_face: Another one that has just become free to use is ‘Micro Cap’ but this forum isn’t a great choice yet for that I’m afraid but we will still be here if you need to discuss Kicad and there is a ‘Projects’ section on this forum but never been there myself…Good choice of hobby !
:mouse:

I find it a bit of a waste of energy to use dark themes on a TFT monitor.
Instead I use the default theme (My Linux Mint with XFCE still looks somewhat like Windows 95) and turn the brightness of my monitor down to 10%.

I never understood why the maximum brightness of monitors is a sales argument. If I turned my monitor to full brightness I would need sunglasses.

I am not sure how it is on other systems but on ubuntu the window style is set by the system settings, so if you have a dark mode enabled there it will also put all the UI elements (except the drawing window) in the dark mode style. This works at least for v7 but I think ita also worked for v5/6 before already.

Dark mode isn’t available on Windows because Microsoft has not implemented Darkmode into Win32 common controls which what our ui framework uses.

A complete abomination of a hack to create dark mode (with visual quirks that can’t be fixed) may come in around 2 years through wxwidgets.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.