D9-1C diode array

I am missing symbols and footprints for common anode or common cathode diode arrays, such as the D9-1C type. Does someone know a resource for these?

For the time being I am helping myself in the schematic with a sub-schematic, but that does not solve the footprint problem.

Can you link to a data sheet? I searched one and it gives pin spacing but NOT pin width. They look flat, other wise an inline module?

I only found this: Mouser datasheet

They are flat, looking a bit like molded capacitors in a row. The pin pitch is 2.54mm, the pin diameter is 0.5mm.

I scribbled a simple schematics symbol for it - the footprint is a 1x9 female header.

d9-1c.dcm (105 Bytes) d9-1c.lib (617 Bytes)

I meant the pins look flat. If they are round, check out:

Hole sizes are 1 mm but can be changed for a custom part.

You are right - the pins are flattened. The dimension of a pin along the pin row is 0.5mm, whereas the pins are 0.3mm thick when seen perpendicular to that row.

How do you know? Are you measuring a sample? Strange that I cannot easily find lead width and thickness on the datasheet. Dimension dementia. I would think that requiring oval holes would be a disadvantage because it would tend to increase the pcb fab cost.

Yes, I have a couple of the 8-diode type here and measured it. I would think some 0.6mm round holes will do - won’t they?

Well, I just calculated square root of sum of the squares. of the X and Y dimensions. That comes out to 0.583 mm. So if there is zero tolerance on all of the dimensions, it might fit OK. But my experience is that it is good to have some extra clearance in hole diameters. I would be inclined to try 0.8 mm. What is the thinking of others on this forum? I cannot get over the idea that the DS does not dimension the leads.

That added clearance also helps accommodate tolerance in the lead location.

I measured again and found the thinner side being 0.25-ish when pressed hard with the meter. The wider side is very close at 0.5 with all pins - plus or minus a few hundredths.

I took from the datasheet that this in fact is some generic part, the part name will give the specs.

We have Dn-mX, where n gives the number of pins (4 to 14), m the position of the common pin(s) , if any:

1 = Bussed with pin 1 in common.
2 = Bussed with centered common.
3 = Isolated.
5 = Dual termination.

and X is C for a common cathode type, A is common anode.

Those things seem rather expensive but make up for it by being out of stock. :crazy_face: Did you consider using BAW56 or BAV70 or BAV99? Those are cheaper, more available, and have multiple manufacturers.

https://www.mouser.com/c/?m=TT%20Electronics&q=diode%20array

I never bought diodes more expensive up to now, but I have a very dense PCB where I can profit from the reduced traces. Even the DIP form factor is helping, as I can add another “layer” on top of the regular copper to bridge a bus. I could do with a 16-diode variant, but since the pole ends at 14, I decided to take two 8-diode ones.

I can understand concern about density, but I would be worried about the fact that the entire series is out of stock, and even the quantities on order are low (such as 1000). Many of the Mouser quantities on the BAV-BAW series are over 1000 or 10,000. Such quantities give confidence of availability. With 0.1" lead spacing, those TT assemblies are not so tiny. How does it lay out compared to a bunch of SOT523s (for example) with two diodes per package? I don’t like to use those smaller packages such as SOT523 but I would do so if space were a problem. Normally I prefer SOT23.

Yeah, I would be worried too if this was a commercial project. But it is just for the fun of it for my own use, so the 32 items I needed were easily collected :wink:

My older eyes and hands do not like SMD too much, so the DIP comes again as a benefit. I have a couple of SOIC24W chips to solder plus a handful of capacitors in 1206, so that seemed to be enough to torture me :grin:

If you have the height available you could even stand up hand wired !N4148 in DO35 axial packages. But if you have what you need…go ahead.

I even have the 1N4148 in stock (SO123), but besides requiring a lot more soldering, these will require two pads each. That would give me another headache for my crammed PCB.

My idea was to stand axial leaded parts on end.

Do you mean SOD123?
BTW I much prefer SOD80 (mini-melf) over SOD123 for hand assembly. The SOD123 is happy to lay on its side or upside down; no such problem with the mini-melf. I can probably mount and solder 5 mini melfs in the time required for one SOD123.

Sorry, yes, SOD123. Chicken’s food…

My footprint for SOD123 has CrtYd rectangle 4.8x2.6=12.48 but my footprint for SOD523 has it 2.4x1.4=3.36 - 3.7 times less space.

Right, but times 16 for 16 diodes, plus the pad and keepout areas plus traces.

The arrays are narrower, are using 7 less connectors on the PCB and no traces at all. Suits me better.