Cycling function for placing hierarchial sheet pins

I am doing some maintenance work (changing global labels to hierarchial labels) on my default template schematic.

What I miss and I dunno if it is possible.

While placing your hierarchial labels in a hierarchial sheet, the order of which label is to place firsts seems complete random. I don’t really know if it is alphabetic or in order of creating. But I lack control

What I would like to do, is to cycle through them using a hotkey or mousewheel or something.

Example: I have like 20 labels in this sheet. But I want to place labels D8-D12 first… because you know reasons.
afbeelding

I tried half my keyboard but I couldn’t do so.
I searched in hotkeys, no luck. I therefor assume it is not (yet) possible.

Does this qualify for a viable feature request?

Kind regards,

Bas

First: I think you talk about placing/importing “hierarchical sheet pins”? (otherwise my subsequent comment can be ignored)

Does this qualify for a viable feature request?

I think yes.
But you should think a little bit longer (and leave the issue open for discussion) about the proposal and how it should work (to discover disadvantages in advance).

The added cycling-functionality should be addtitional, not mandatory. (I think for instance always displaying a disambiguation menu would be annoying).

Maybe extending the standard “8” hotkey ==place hierarchical sheet pin to the following behaviour:

• nothing selected and active: works like now - invoking the first hierarchical pin
  • if already a pin is attached to the mouse cursor:
    • currently: places this pin, adds the next hierarchical pin and makes that active for placement
    • proposed: switches the active pin to the next hierarchical pin
    • for committing a hierarchical pin the ENTER key can still be used

I think you talk about placing/importing “hierarchical sheet pins”

I updated the title, thank you for your input. I will also update the text.

But you should think a little bit longer

I never stop thinking, that is where it often goes wrong :stuck_out_tongue: :joy:

I simply thought to leave the current operation as it is now. So you click on the sheet and a ‘wild’ pin appears. But I would extend it with a couple of configurable hotkeys for cycling thru the pins.

• currently: places this pin, adds the next hierarchical pin and makes that active for placement
  • proposed: switches the active pin to the next hierarchical pin
  • for committing a hierarchical pin the ENTER key can still be used (and ofourse a left mouse click)

So yeah, I believe we are thinking the same. I vote for using up and left arrow keys for the cycling.

And/or perhaps use the mousewheel. I mean you do use the mouse to pick a spot for the pin, you left click the mouse to commit the pin and load the next. So to use your mousewheel may perhaps be a solution?

I do can think of a caveat for using the mousewheel. While planting the pins, the mousewheel currently does it’s normal thing, that is zooming in and out. I may imagine that some people could possibly become unhappy when they use the mousewheel (because they are zoomed in too far and they want to see the entire sheet) and instead of zooming out, they accidently change the label :thinking: Perhaps use Control + mousewheel for cycling?

(and leave the issue open for discussion

Always :wink: That is the point of a forum right?

Regards :coffee:

Bas

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.