CvPCB Usability Suggestions

Is there way to deassociate the footprint from a single component in CvPCB? I can only find a “Delete all associations” button.

Also, I think it would make it much better if the footprint display window were embedded in the main CvPCB window. It’s quite cumbersome continuosly having to switch between windows when looking for a certain footprint.

Is there way to deassociate the footprint from a single component in CvPCB? I can only find a “Delete all associations” button.

Only by replacement, AFAIK

You can keep the footprint window open (sing the 33 button AND also, from there open a 3d view.

Browsing through the footprints in CvPCB will then show you the footprint and the 3d view of each selected footprint in turn at the same time. Having a larger display is helpful in Kicad but this is on a small laptop screen.

1 Like

Yes, I can do that, but I see no reason why it can’t all be displayed in the same window and I have to manually arrange 3 windows instead.

Increased flexibility as a single window can not be stretched across different screens on all platforms. Having it as different windows always allows this.

And i am not certain if wx allows for parts of the dialog to be hidden but not taking up any space. And i would guess not everyone wants the preview always there. (I for one never use the preview in cvpcb. If i do not yet know what the footprint is called or where to find it then i use a different tool.)

If the preview and 3D view are - say - on the right part of the window, you can stretch the window so that that part ends up in the right screen.

Of course the best thing would be having everything in a single window but detachable, so that it can be moved wherever anyone wants, but I admit it might be too much work for a little benefit.

This might work on some platforms but not on all! Not every window manager supports having windows stretch over multiple screens. Especially if your two screens have different resolutions (quite common for laptop plus screen setups)

A solution would be dock-able dialogs but here we would require that wx supports this on all platforms.

Oh and you can always make a bug report requesting it. I just doubt it will have high priority.

Done

1 Like

Ohhhh, thanks! So I’m not the only one who would like this :). It feels so natural to me!

I wish I could vote for the feature, but I can’t find any way to.

You need to open an account on the bug tracker (if not already done) and click on “This bug affects X person. Does this bug affect you?” below the bug title.

Done, thanks! :sunglasses:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.