Custom shape pad questions

As I’m moving up the learning curve, I’m solving problems and creating new ones…

I made a footprint with a custom pad shape for a Keystone 5136TR dome switch.

I made the mask, the default is a copy of the pad shape, I only want five circles.

First problem, the mask doesn’t show up correctly on the 3D viewer, I see the whole pad unmasked. Maybe it’s a rendering issue?

Second, is it possible to start a trace from any of the four circles instead of just #2? It makes for some awkward routing

Lastly, the two footprints you see are touching on purpose. I want to create a rocker switch. Any way to let KiCad know they are connected and there’s no need to draw a trace from pad 2 to pad 2?

Report this as a bug. Include screenshots of what you see and the files to recreate it.

Make 4x custom pads. Each with the starting pad and overlapping the copper arc.

Make them into a single footprint.

That was my first thought but here it was described as bad practice…

Well, that is true. But as electronic sins go, I would class that one lower than overlapping footprints :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m not sure I follow you here. In the same footprint?

Oh, I see. Not “create pad from selected shapes” just four pads and the arc?

4x pads. 3x arcs. Don’t add a copper graphic, that will cause DRC error. Use custom pads with the circular base pad and 90° arc, then duplicate and rotate.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.