Custom Schematic Reference numbering

I would like the component reference numbers to be counting in hexidecimal instead of base 10. For example: C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C6, C7, C8, C9, CA, CB, CC, CD, CE, CF, C10, C11, etc. It would be acceptable even if the numbers have to be entered mannualy as long as they will export to netlist. But big schematics with a lot of components will cause human errors with manual entering
Is there any option to do that automatically?

This is currently not supported by KiCad.
Any RefDes (refernce) that does not end in a digit (0 through 9) gets a number added during annotation.

It’s easy to verify this yourself.
I did it by making a copy of an existing connector, and changing it’s RefDes to “J0x3E”. and then did the annotation, and now it is “J0x3E1”.

If the devs can implement base 13 reference designators, I would be one of the first to say “Why did you do that?” :slight_smile:

1 Like

That seems like it would get pretty confusing with multi-unit symbols…

2 Likes

In the previous program I used (Ultiboard, some 20year old version) the annotation only replaced question marks with a number. If the RefDes did not have a question mark, then the annotation just let the text string alone.
I liked that method above the way KiCad handles it.

I can not remember anymore if and how duplicates were handled.

What?
Base 13 RefDes? :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.