Custom Mount Holes

I hereby certify that I am not simply asking someone else to design a footprint for me.

This is an auto-generated message that is in place on the “footprints” section of the KiCad.info forum. If I remove it and ask for a footprint to be designed anyway, I understand that I will be subject to forum members telling me to go design my own footprint or referring me to a 3rd party footprint site.

Hi People, I have bit of a problem. So im making a Pcb that needs to have mounting holes in specific spots. They are for measuring another PCB. Only problem is, some of the holes are too close to eachother.

I was wondering, is there a way to make costum pads/mounting holes? The needles need to be soldered onto mounting holes.

And yes, it needs to be like that because im working with very specific Resistances.

I tried some stuff out in Footprint creation, but im unsure how to get the pad inside of the hole.

I attached the pad positions so you can see what am i working with.

Thakns yall!

I don’t understand what you need. Can you show some example? “Pad inside of the hole” doesn’t make sense because there’s nothing in a hole, there can’t be pad inside hole.

grafik

This is what i mean by “pad inside of the hole” i dont know other description in English for it.

I was thinking about doing something like this, so the outside pads dont touch.

But im having problems with making the hole right as shown in post before.

For me it is still not clear.
You want to have metallization inside a hole without pads?
If yes then what for?

I still use KiCad V5. I suppose nothing changed in this matter but not sure.
I have defined my mounting holes by specifying Pad type: ‘NPTH, Mechanical’ and giving ‘Size X’ and ‘Hole size X’ the same values.

Like eelik I’m also not sure what you want to achieve.
We should first try to define the meaning of the words:

• SMD-Pads: only copper on top or bottom, no drilling
  • THT-pads: Through-hole pads, inserted in the footprint-editor. Consists of a plated hole and copper on top+bottom around the hole.
  • NPTH-Pads: holes which are not plated inside the drill. Mostly with no copper outside the hole (but possible).
  • simple hole created as circle on edge.cuts layer

Which type of these do you want to place in the footprint-editor?
Which part of these is overlapping:

• the holes themself? → not producable
  • the copper around the holes? → there are possibly solutions. Tell the additional restrictions.

I’m guessing this is for a jig with something like pogo pins.
One way to make such a project easier for yourself is to order two PCB’s and add some distance holder. This keeps all the pis parallel to each other.

Also, don’t forget the mounting holes.

Adding the pogo pins too close to each other is a nuisance. Both in this design phase, and later when soldering the test jig together.

I hope I understand you correctly, below is a screenshot of adding a pad in the Footprint Editor.
I made it a Through-hole pad, because those have plating on the inside, which makes soldering much stronger.

I also added an offset to the pad (related to the hole, which is considered the anchor point of the pad).

It’s probably easiest to make a footprint for just a single test point, and then add as many as you need on the PCB. The pads can be rotated on the PCB if needed. (With an accuracy of 0.1 degree).

“Guide Pin” is typically what they’re called. Many suppliers sell them. They range in various flavors/sizes

I have a Lathe and have made my own long before coming to Kicad so, I never had reason for 3D-model of them. However, I like modeling so, I cooked up one that reflects some I made (on lathe).

Below shows:
• 3D-Model (made using FreeCAD)
• Footprint (made in Kicad using THT and the STEPmodel)
• PCB with the Footprint

If interested, I’ll make a 3D-model for you if provided Dimensions…etc (no cost)

Some screenshots…

3D-STEP Model

Footprint Editor

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.