Cursor pointer leaves a trace on screen in eeschema in Mint 19 Cinnamon

I installed KiCad in Mint 19 Cinnamon (it is version KiCad 4.0.7+dfsg1-1ubuntu2). To my surprise
the cross-hair pointer leaves a trace on screen in eeschema. I googled for this bug an it seems it
also was known in older versions of KiCad (https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1461698), so it seems
it was solved only temporarily. Is there a known solution for people working with mint 19 cinnamon?
(I’d rather stay with the stable version of KiCad in Mint 19 and not upgrade to version 5.0)

kind regards,
Hugo

KiCad version 5 is the current stable version. the nightly reports it self as 6.0 (but in reality is the future 5.1)
KiCad 4 will not be maintained any more (so you could say it is deprecated)

Rene, I think you gave the right answer before

Is there a way to make the people who make Mint 19 Cinnamon aware of the fact they include a deprecated version (with problems) or at least make a kicad5 version installable the classical linux way?

kind regards,
Hugo

This is not exactly the problem I am facing, I see a trail of crosses on my screen (not crosshairs)

It is the same problem. With the difference that the reporter in that topic has the cursor set to “Large cursor”. From your description you use the default or small cursor.

Deprecated might be a bit of a strong clasification as kicad 5 came out a month or so ago. Maybe “not suggested for new designs” would be the better term to use.

Sadly kicad 5 came out shortly after the mint 19 release so i doubt it will be included in their default software repos.
But there are kicad ppas out there that you can use. Check out the official kicad website for more details: https://kicad.org/download/linux-mint/
(Even thought the header of that page seems to talk about kicad 4, the ppa described is for version 5. There is simply a mistake on the website. I reported that over at github and will fix it later today if it is not done until then.)

What I mean is: how can we tell the Mint19-people that a unusable version is currently in their
repo?

Make a bug report? That is outside of the scope of kicad. The guys at kicad manage the ppa not the official mint repos.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.