Cumulative track length for a selection of tracks in pcbnew?

When I click to select a single track segment, then I get its length printed in the status on the bottom of the window. But if I select multiple connected track segments (say via right-click/Select/Trivial Connection), the status does not display length anymore, having turned into this:

Apparently, there are tools for pcbnew, that might show cumulative track length - if I understand this https://vjordan.info/log/fpga/track-length-matching-with-kicad-and-freerouting.html correctly, FreeRouting does, as seen in this pic from the page (notice the “cumulative trace length” in the “Selected Items” window:

Is there something like that in pcbnew proper? I use:

Application: kicad
Version: (2017-11-13 revision d98fc85)-master, release build
Libraries:
    wxWidgets 3.0.2
    libcurl/7.35.0 OpenSSL/1.0.1f zlib/1.2.8 libidn/1.28 librtmp/2.3
Platform: Linux 4.4.0-116-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Build Info:
    wxWidgets: 3.0.2 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 2.24
    Boost: 1.54.0
    Curl: 7.35.0
    Compiler: GCC 4.8.4 with C++ ABI 1002

Build settings:
    USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
    USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
    BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCE=OFF
    KICAD_SPICE=OFF

Well, here is something: I watched Kicad - Differential pair routing and trace length matching - YouTube - and if I understand it properly, one can use Route/Tune Track Length (having been set to Route/Single Track mode) tool - once it’s selected, the cursor turns into a crosshair, and you can click the track:

When you click on the track, you get a status text displayed, here “Too short: 32.476 mm/100.00 mm”; the first number (here 32.476) is the selected trace actual length (it will be indicated in yellow), the second number (here 100) is the target/desired length (see the video on how to set the target up)

So, this is great for measuring a complete track, but I cannot see yet if this can measure a selection of traces which is a subset of the entire track, say, as on this screenshot?:

Check out How to measure the specific net length in kicad

1 Like

While I’m at it I can also make a plug for my action plugin, which calculates shortest track distance between two pads

For anyone interested take a look at: pad 2 pad track distance action plugin

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.