Creating nets in Pcbnew (5.99)

It’s now possible to create a new net in pcbnew with Inspect -> Net Inspector. It can then be assigned to a pad in the pad properties. The change can also be fed back to the schematic with Tools -> Update Schematic from PCB (with more or less success).

This is an answer to long standing need for easier PCB-only design (WireIt plugin has been used for it).

4 Likes

Here’s to @JeffYoung :

It’s pretty clear until we get back to the schematic. What should I expect? Now it changes the label name, and the schematic doesn’t correspond with the pcb. If I click the Update Schematic button in the dialog twice, it changes the label back.

I understand this is very difficult. It’s pretty nigh impossible to edit the schematic automatically so that it would work in all situations. But still this is confusing. Does anyone have a proposition?

Could it be possible to make the schematic ugly and cause a forced ERC error by adding a new label to the changed pad/pin? (If I have understood correctly the ERC check can now handle multiple labels in the same net – although it doesn’t seem to work!) This would force the user to edit the schematic manually.

In your example you’ve purposefully “broken” the PCB (by assigning different nets to the connected pads). The software just does what you tell it.

Some examples that might work better are giving a uselessly-named net Net-(R1-Pad2) a real name, or adding a net to a pad that didn’t have one before.

But I think if we try to be too smart it will get even more opaque rather than less.

1 Like

I see. Then the dialog could show a Warning.

Yeah, I think I can check for pads sharing the same net getting renamed differently…

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.