Creating Libraries with Samacsys

Hi FOlks, so I find Samacsys quite useful, but I am not sure if I can change the Samacsys filename within local folders to better represent the project?
Samacsys always wants to save to SamacSys_xxx and so when I refer to the library in the manager, that is how it shows itself. Can anyone help me to choose a name that can be selected from the list as being part of that project?

Thanks.

Hi Ollyk,
Sure you can.
Nothing is stopping you from editing either symbol or footprint.
I do this all the time.

Surely one point of a Library (unless it’s Project specific) is that it can be used across projects ? anything that you download from Samacsys is going to be a part that can be used by you, by me by anyone so by definition is not project specific.

Thanks for the response folks. So firstly this is project specific. Secondly, I want to call the Samasys files a name specific to the project, or at least categorize them as that so they appear as “ProjectXlibrary”. Thing is, If I do this manually in the folder, then samacsys is not aware and so will not save new components to that file.

Sorry if I am not explaining it well, fairly new to Kicad and am not really getting on with the project file system tbh!

I think you need to explain this in more detail . . . who is creating new components ? if it is indeed SamacSys they will not be saving these components to a custom library on your PC.

Hi @Ollyk

Libraries can be a little confusing. Clear your head we’ll start from scratch.

Kicad supplied libraries are read only. If you wish to create, import or modify (even Kicad library parts) they must first be placed in Personal Libraries.

Two choices are offered for Personal Libraries: Global and Project.

Global Libraries can be accessed by any project at any time. They work like Kicad libraries: they are always available. These are located in a place (of your choosing) somewhere in your computer.
See this FAQ: KiCad 7 Beginners Guide to Personal Symbol and Footprint Libraries

Project Libraries can ONLY be accessed when the particular project they are tied to is opened. Project Libraries are located within the project to which they are assigned.

To create a Project Library, first open your project, and, in the case of a symbol library, open your Symbol Editor.
Next: select File > New Library > Project

You need to name the library (magenta arrow)
When you have saved, the library will appear in the list (red arrow)
The path to this library, (which can only be accessed when this project is open) shows in (green arrow).

You can confirm the existence of this library by going back to the library project (cyan arrow below).

The Project Footprint Library works exactly the same way, but you need to start proceedings the the Footprint Editor.

The library can be viewed and accessed on the LHS of your screen in both the Schematic and Symbol Editors in its alphabetical place amongst all the other libraries. (Yellow arrow below)

NOTE: this library will only show, and can only be accessed if this project is open.

Open a different project and that library will be absent.

Now you have a project Library.
If you want more libraries for this project, repeat the above process.

If you wish to change the nickname or remove the library from visible or active, go into Preferences > Manage Symbol Libraries > Project Libraries; but again, access to this is only while in the project to which the library/s are attached.

To place symbols in your new library, copy/paste, import, save as, or whatever else in suitable from the library containing the symbol/s you require.

Note: the screen grabs are taken from Linux Mint. Other OSs may show slightly different layouts and colors.

@Ollyk

I just re-read your OP.
Call this new library “SamacSys” if you wish and then import all the symbols you require into it, naming each symbol as you wish.