Creating Footprint or Structure on Paste Layer in Python

Hello,

I have been trying to create a customized paste layer by using the Python interface inside KiCad 6. The plan is to create some little structures on the paste layer as I would need the thin metal structures of the stencil in order hold an air filter. So not the normal application of a stencil :slight_smile:

As far as I got, I cannot just “draw” lines on that F.Paste Layer in the PCB editor as I can do on the copper layers. Here the following works:

t = pcbnew.TRACK(pcb)
pcb.Add(t)
t.SetStart(startPos)

and so forth. I also tried to reassign those tracks later to the F.Paste Layer, but that also does not seem to be the way its supposed to work.

Is there something comparable that I can do on the Paste Layer? In the footprint editor I did not see a possibility to run scripts.

Does anybody know a similar project and could provide hints or links? That’d be great.

… or is it just not possible?

Don’t know if I will be helpful (I don’t know Python and don’t think of using it in KiCad).
I think you can create the structures you need as footprints and than you can probably use Python to place lot of them at PCB.
The other thought… - may be instead of creating PCB you can just create gerber file.

if you’re making a stencil for this only and not for a board, you can draw your structures on any layer you like, and then plot that layer to gerber and use that gerber file to have a stencil made.

If you need custom shapes on the paste layer in a footprint, you can import a bitmap (using the image conversion tool in kicad’s main application) onto the mask layer, then change its layer to the paste layer in the footprint editor.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.