Creating BOMs using BOMS-Away

I’ve been using KiCad for a while now and till now I’ve been doing BOMs manually using the included bom2csv plugins. I recently came across this and I’m wondering if anyone here can help me understand how to use this? All I can see are .py files and I’m not sure where and how to begin.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Looking at the github page it looks like standalone outside of KiCAD to me.

What I did in Win7 64 bit just 5 mins ago:

• install Python 2.7.11 (64 bit or 32bit) from python.org (comes with pip)
  • go to command line and install sqlalchemy

pip install sqlalchemy

• run bomsawaywx.py in command line
  • if you get this error

E:\Data_KiCAD\KiCAD_Downloads\Boms-Away-master>bomsawaywx.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “E:\Data_KiCAD\KiCAD_Downloads\Boms-Away\bomsawaywx.py”, line 5, in import wx
File “C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\wx-3.0-msw\wx_init_.py”, line 45, in from wx._core import *
File “C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\wx-3.0-msw\wx_core.py”, line 4, in import core
ImportError: DLL load failed: %1 is not a valid Win32 application.

You have to get a wxpython to fit your python install (I had 64bit python, but 32bit wx, so needed to get the other one (uninstall the wrong one when prompted during install of the correct one)

• then start bomsawaywx.py from command line and you should see a wx window open, then just load a .sch of your project and have fun…

2 Likes

Thank you @Joan_Sparky. That helped :slight_smile:

I really like Boms away, works like a charm, and the fact that saves changed files back in .sch file is amazing, but i was wondering what does part lookup button do?
Found that, is in planned features…8-/
Also when i export it leaves every other row empty so i have to clean that up, it there a solution for that?
Why does it do that?
I cant wait for other functionality (Octopart integration, accounting…) to kick in…

EDIT: I answered this post in the next post. Read this post if you’re having issues or skip it… :slight_smile:

I have been trying to install bomsaway from the instructions above on windows 7, 64 bit. However, when I issue the command in the Windows cmd.exe command line: C:\BomsAway>bomsaway.py

I get Bomsaway to open, but it doesn’t populate the Quantity, refs, etc. And, really doesn’t seem to do anything. this is after I opened a KiCAD schematic. It does populate the footprints and components boxes.

When I try C:\BomsAway>bomsawaywx.py, I get an error where bomsawaywx.py is not recgonized as an internal or external command.

I did install sqlalchemy and when I try again I get:
C:\BomsAway>c:\Python27\python.exe -m pip install sqlalchemy
Requirement already satisfied: sqlalchemy in c:\python27\lib\site-packages

I also installed from the c:\python27 folder python.exe -m pip install sqlalchemy
and got a message it installed correctly and see the files here:
C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy

Lastly, I did install wxpython and don’t get the Traceback error described in the post above w/ the instructions… Because I can’t get boms-away to work correclty, I uninstalled wxpython 32-bit and installed wxpython 64-bit. I did get the error in the post above, so I went back to wxpythong 32.bit.

I tried the following from the windows command line:
C:\BomsAway>c:\Python27\pythonw.exe bomsawaywx.py
RESULT - Nothing happens.

C:\BomsAway>c:\Python27\pythonw.exe bomsaway.py
RESULT - Boms away opens, but doesn’t populate the Qty, Refs, or footprint field.

Maybe someone has a suggestion to help?

Thanks,
Mark

Ok - I’m a t-bone and it was working all the time!?

From windows command line, either command will open BomsAway:
C:\BomsAway>c:\Python27\Pythonw bomsaway.py
or
C:\BomsAway>c:\Python27\Python bomsaway.py

however, to populate the Qty, Refs, and footprint fields, you have to SELECT the Component displayed in the Componenents (spelled incorrectly:-)).

So - I got it. Thank you!