Create oval holes, but export round

Hello,
I found that holes properties sets availible from side panel vs Properties window are different and they work’s in different way. And it makes problem when i want to create slot hole. I set parameters as NPTH, Oval, pad dimension same as hole X=1, Y=2), PCB editor shows perfectly what i want, but after export it is oval at soler mask and round drilled hole. Everything works ok when I set hole properties by using Properties window. There I can define “hole shape” as “oval” - this parameter was not shown in properties side panel.
This confused me because when I set oval for pad shape and also holes looks like ovals but in real they are round holes.
Are there anybody who have same, or it is happend only me? I’m using Windows Kicad version 7 and 8 - both works same.

Welcome to community…

No problem in v7

Single pad and Barrel-Jack, both with Oval PTH

Top left shows it in the PCB Editor
The copper on right side of image shows it in CNC software (also contains a Barrel-Jack with two oval holes)
The bottom left shows it okay in Kicad’s Gerber Viewer)

Trying a barrel jack mounting pin on 8.0.1+63 from Testing, I see oval holes on the PCB, 3D view and on the Gerber and DRL files

Yes, this Barrel jack pads are ok also in my Gerbers. But it’s not a case.
Please see below pic, I made new footprint, placed 4 through-hole pads and similar 4 NPTH pads. I changed pads properties as follow, from left:

1. simple 2mm circle pad and 1mm hole size, for reference,
  2. using side panel I changed pad shape to oval and Size Y=3 and hole size Y =2,
  3. same as 2nd and after this opened properties window and clik “ok” (nothing else),
  4. by using Properties window set hole shape as oval.
    Bottom row of NPTH pads I made with same methods like TH-pads.
    Please note that pads 2 and 4 looks exacly same in edit window and different in GerbView.

And now to the point: Properties side panel do not show property “hole shape”. It permanenty shows hole size X and hole size Y, no matter of selected pad shape (round or oval) and changing hole size makes wisible changes but only at footprint editor and PCB editor, this pads at GerbView are diffrent (ex. pad No.2)

This second description is better.
And I think I have reproduced the behaviour. And I would say it’s bug.

Version: 7.0.11, release build

I just created a new project and my CNC software no longer likes the Drill files (PTH and NPTH)!!!

I had No problems in v7.0.10

Thanks @mf_ibfeew, now third attempt…
This time I used footprint with a round pad and round hole, and in PCB editor I modify pads properties in two ways.
“way1” - all changes was done by Properties panel,
“way2” - all changed done by Properties window.
Both methods give same looking holes (pic. STEP 2) but different gebers (pic. STEP 3).
Each method consists of three steps:

1. place footprind on the PCB. I used “MountingHole_3.2mm_M3”. Check the properties of the pad, just for take screenshot.
  2. Modify the pad properties as follows: Pad Shape = Oval, Size X = 5.2, Hole Size X = 5.2, (in “way 2”: Hole Shape = Oval) - everything as picture shows
  3. Check it in gerbView.

I found this “problem” when I sent gerbers to the fabricator (JLCPCB) and their viewer showed me round holes where ovals should be. In that case I made the changes exactly as “Way 1” describes.
For this answer I used version 7.0.11 release build and it works the same as version 8. I previously tried to show this case using v8 footprint editor. Their pad properties panel also worked the same.
Below my observation. I didn’t mark it in the photo to not make a mess there (I will take screenshots if necessary - they are better than my descriptions)
The list of properties is different in the side panel and in the Properties window, for example:

• side panel doesn’t show “Hole Shape”
  • the side panel still shows “Y Hole Size” even if Hole Shape is set to Circular.

I have written a summary of your descriptions: using properties panel for oval holes produces false output (#17575) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab

1 Like

thanks @mf_ibfeew.
Please note that this issue was related not only to NPTH but also to Through-hole (plated) pads, My previous description shows it with TH pads.