Create custom shapes

Hello,

I’m trying to create a sensitive sensor with KiCAD; I have designed this sensor with graphic elements:

In the past, I knew how to transform graphic elements into primitives. But I have forgotten… and I’m unable to find the solution. Help will be welcome. For information, I use KiCAD 5.99 (Version: (5.99.0-8733-gdb3b79a046), release build).

Best regards,

JB

I believe the old method I used in 5.1 still works; select the graphics and the pad, right click, and you can convert the graphics fill region into a custom pad, anchor point at center of the pad you selected

It’s a bit different in 5.99: you choose Edit Pad as Graphic Shapes from a pad’s – a normal pad which works as the anchor – context menu. Then you are in a special mode where you can draw graphic items on that anchor pad. Then you switch back to the normal mode. There’s no need to combine those items explicitly, they are combined when the mode is switched back to normal.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for your answer. I have tried but KiCAD aborts with segmentation fault:

hilbert:[~] > kicad

(kicad:67862): Gtk-WARNING **: 18:59:33.602: for_size smaller than min-size (1 < 6) while measuring gadget (node trough, owner GtkScale)

(kicad:67862): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 18:59:33.602: gtk_box_gadget_distribute: assertion 'size >= 0' failed in GtkScale

(kicad:67862): Gtk-WARNING **: 18:59:33.602: Negative content height -17 (allocation 1, extents 9x9) while allocating gadget (node trough, owner GtkScale)

(kicad:67862): Gtk-WARNING **: 18:59:33.602: for_size smaller than min-size (1 < 6) while measuring gadget (node trough, owner GtkScale)

(kicad:67862): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 18:59:33.602: gtk_box_gadget_distribute: assertion 'size >= 0' failed in GtkScale

(kicad:67862): Gtk-WARNING **: 18:59:33.602: Negative content height -17 (allocation 1, extents 9x9) while allocating gadget (node trough, owner GtkScale)

(kicad:67862): Gtk-WARNING **: 18:59:33.603: for_size smaller than min-size (1 < 6) while measuring gadget (node trough, owner GtkScale)

(kicad:67862): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 18:59:33.603: gtk_box_gadget_distribute: assertion 'size >= 0' failed in GtkScale

(kicad:67862): Gtk-WARNING **: 18:59:33.603: Negative content height -17 (allocation 1, extents 9x9) while allocating gadget (node trough, owner GtkScale)
Erreur de segmentation

Those messages don’t help at all, they have nothing to do with KiCad. Can you give the detailed steps, possibly with a screencast? It works for me on Linux.

I have uploaded a screencast at https://hilbert.systella.fr/public/simplescreenrecorder-2021-02-01_22.51.42.mkv.

I open a footprint and try to add a line. When I close this special mode, KiCAD aborts with segfault.

I still can’t repeat the problem, although my test pad looks of course different. Can you share the footprint file?

Of course.

Peigne_7.5mmx6mm.kicad_mod (8.3 KB)

You have two groups there which may cause the bug. Could you report this to the issue database? Attach the video and the footprint there and add Help->About->Copy Version Info (or just use the Report Bug button in the About dialog).

I successfully converted the graphics of your example into pads.

What you need to do is first remove both groups of your graphics objects, then right click each pad and select “edit pad as graphic shape” or something like that. Then directly exit editing mode. You can also just press ctrl+e twice with each pad selected

The crash seems to appear because of the grouping. I’ll file a bug if there is none.

1 Like

Please do that, thanks. I believe groups in footprints is pretty much uncharted territory. Probably it has never been combined with custom pads before.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.