Crash with Edit Symbol Fields

Just upgraded from 8.0.1 to 8.0.2. When I click Edit Symbol Fields (i.e. Bulk edit files of all symbols in schematic), KiCad terminates (crashes). This is with my existing projects created on macOS 12.7.4. This did not happen with 8.0.1.

This is preventing me from exporting a BOM. What should I do.

The first thing would be to attach the project here, if at all possible. We can test if you give us a self-contained project zip file which shows the problem.

Maybe it’s because I’d deleted the database $() fields in 8.0.1. File is much larger than the 4GB allowed here, so please see GitHub - ea7kir/KC-Archive

When I open your Archive and the KiCad project, KiCad complains with:

And when I go to the power supply in the hierarchy the sheet is empty. So I guess you made some kind of editing error (Did you delete your database fields with a text editor?) But even so, KiCad should not crash.

Please try updating to the latest macOS testing build at Downloads | KiCad EDA

I wish I could delete the duplicate ‘v8.0.2 Bug’ thread, but that doesn’t appear possible.

I’ve no idea why you can’t open the project, but I can open just fine. The only issue I have is the one I pointed out.

I don’t want to risk using a nightly build.

Not a nightly build, but a testing build of what will become 8.0.3 eventually.

This is most likely a known issue that is already fixed.

The differences between testing and nightly builds are described on the downloads page: macOS Downloads | KiCad EDA

OK, I can give a testing build a try on another machine. Meanwhile, I downloaded my zip from GitHub and I too get an empty power supply. Perhaps something went wrong when I zipped it, so I’ll investigate that first.

Firstly, thanks for deleting my duplicate thread.

NB: iMac 27" Apple macOS 12.7.4 Intel Core i7.

So, after several re-install of recent v8.0.x versions and restoring my projects from backup, I appear to have v8.0.1 work correctly. I need this so I can solder all the components using an updated BOM file, ticking each off as I go.

I previously I claimed my project would load just fine in v8.0.2, except for a crash when selecting ‘Edit Symbol Fields’. However, during recent testing (including re-installing KiCad from different repositories), the files within my project became corrupted. For example, at least one of the hierarchy files. This was using v.8.0.2.

A fresh install of v8.0.1 and restoring my projects works just fine. On each re-install, I didn’t simply delete the Applications/KiCad folder, but used Mac Cleaner Pro / App Cleaner & Uninstaller, which gets rid of 79 known files - including those outside of Applications/KiCad.

I’ll stick with v8.0.1 for now and wait for an official release of v8.0.3 before further testing - unless something goes wrong again. I’m compelled to believe that v8.0.2 had not been thoroughly tested before being released. KiCad is a complex application, so I guess this sort of thing can easily occur. However, KiCad has enabled me to design a complex 3 board project (3 separate project files), so I still think KiCad is awesome. Thank you.

We rely on users to do testing of release candidates. Unfortunately, most KiCad users do not use macOS, so it gets the least testing coverage.

v8.0.2 on my Mac also crashes when I try to edit symbol fields.

The advice in this thread is to try the lastest testing version, not the regular v8.0.2.

And not to be confused with the latest nightly version which is numbered 8.99

This version:

The macOS build has been re-released as 8.0.2-1 with this wxWidgets fix included.

1 Like