CRASH when opening any footprint

Every time I try to attach a footprint to a schmatic symbol or open a footprint KiCAD crashes.
It shows me the footprint in the preview but as soon as I double click it, boom crash.
This is all I see
and then

Any help would be nice… I am going to try and reinstall it.
Here is my version info

Version Application: kicad
Version: (5.0.0), release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.3
libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2l zlib/1.2.11 libssh2/1.8.0 nghttp2/1.23.1 librtmp/2.3
Platform: Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.3 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.60.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.8.0
Curl: 7.54.1
Compiler: GCC 7.1.0 with C++ ABI 1011

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=OFF
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

File a bug report on Launchpad. Crash bugs are taken very seriously by the developers

What davidsrsb said is true, but give also more information - your exact Windows version, how you installed KiCad, how you installed the libraries, did you have previous 4.0 installation before, etc. what might come to mind. Have you checked that the library installation and paths are correct?

I will file one, i f i find its not something i am doing.

Windows version was listed up above Platform: Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW.

I have uninstalled Kicad 5 times now and reinstalled by down;loading the installed and going through that process.
I did have version 4 before and have seen that there are issues with the libraries.

I can see the parts, even add them to a board. the problem only occurs when i double click on them in the Library Browser. even parts i have created in the new version.

I have updated my global libraries by deleting all the links to the github and linking to the version 5 libraries and it still occurs, i will report bug.

Even calling a deleted library should not cause a crash, just a warning or error.

@sheldon I have a similar problem when using Windoze 7 with other programs; I can not recall if KiCad is a common denominator or not.

My experience with Win7 and KiCad has been generally very good with very few crashes that I can attribute to KiCad.

You might want to consider a fresh install of your OS; as that is what I am considering to fix my own stability issues. My own machine problems have not yet reached the annoyance level where I feel the immediate need to fix the issue.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.