Countersunk holes

Hi.

Is it possible to create a countersunk hole in KiCad?
I have a wire feed thru with a diamter of 2.2mm and would like a 60° angle on the bottom side of the board.
For use with the SMD Microcon Pure connector.
https://www.electroterminal.com/uploads/user_upload/MICROCON_SMD_PURE_screen.pdf

Kind regards,
Roy

I doubt any manufacturer will have the option for countersunk holes in their normal process.
So if you find one that can do it it will be much more expensive and you will need to communicate this fact with them in some manufacturer drawing. (probably outside of the normal gerbers)
This means talk to your manufacturer if they can countersink holes and how they want it to be communicated.

1 Like

Hi.
I guess you’re right. I was just wondering if the option existed.

https://www.google.com/search?q=countersunk+hole+in+pcb

as @Rene_Poschl already highlighted this is adding extra costs

As Rene and Maui have both illuminated, you probably don’t want to ask your board house to do this for you. What you can do, however, is add a silkscreen circle of the perimeter of the countersink on the side where you want it. Then drill your own countersink on a drill press using that silkscreen as a guide when to stop drilling. Especially since looking at the drawing the countersink isn’t fully through the board. It looks to be a guide for inserting a wire so It probably isn’t that critical. Though, I don’t know (because I haven’t looked; never mind, I just checked McMaster and they have lots and even the carbide ones are reasonably priced) how common 60° countersink bits are, again the exact angle probably isn’t critical.

Keep your countersink bit sharp and wear a dust mask, you will be cutting fiber glass held together with epoxy.

Maui’s google search brings up plenty of PCB boardhouses anxious to do this for you.
I’m curious about the extra costs thoug for this non standard operation.
I’m also curious about the performance of these connectors.

As an alternative:
I’ve seen ESC boards (High current BLDC motor controllers used in hobby circuits, model cars, airplanes etc) in which a thick wire (100A capable) is routed through a hole in the PCB for stress relief and then sodered directly to an SMD pad with via’s for extra strength so the pad does not get ripped of under mechanical duress. Adding a piece of shrink tube around the wire would be a further refinement.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.