Copy title block parameters from schematic to PCB?

I’m trying to find a way to sync the title block parameters between schematic and layout, but I can’t find any sort of button or option to do so. Am I missing something? If not, does anyone have a clever way that’s better than just copying and pasting the value of each field between eeschema and pcbnew?

Which settings do you want to synchronize?
The file names are always different between the schematic and PCB.
The dates are often different.
Page sizes can very well be different too.
Schematic and PCB do not necessarily have the same revision, company or comments.

That would mostly leave the company name and project title.

These things are also not synchronized between pages in a hierarchical schematic. Funny I had never noticed this before. In Schematic / File / Page Settings there is an Export to other sheets checkbox, but I am not sure what it exports to those other sheets. I guess it only does paper size and orientation.

I think the ideal would be a button that just imports schematic title block values into the PCB, probably an automatic syncing would be less desirable for the reasons you mention. In this situation I’m mostly trying to sync part numbers, revision numbers (ours stay in sync between PCB and schematic), title, and a few other comment fields we use for other stuff.

Don’t know if it is clever way but certainly solves the problem definitely :slight_smile:
When I started with KiCad (V 4.0.7) I redesigned PCB Sheet to contain only small cross at 0,0 absolute coordinates and locate my PCBs to have this cross in their center.
No title block - no need to synchronize anything :slight_smile:

I don’t care much for this myself but it does feel like a common and logical enough request to make a feature request for it on gitlab. Looking at Schematic / File / Page Settings again, I now see that there are Export to other sheets checkboxes to the right of each entry field.

The most universal would be to make two columns of checkboxes here, so you can choose whether individual settings are copied to the PCB file.

On a side note, you can also use text variables to synchronize text between the schematic and PCB editors. For example RefDes and Values are commonly synchronized, but it’s easy to make some custom symbols and footprints. Every now and then I think about creating both a schematic symbol and a “footprint” for a title block. I don’t like the very big borders of KiCad’s default page layout, and that always (in my case) empty block that is reserved for comments. But a small title block with the project name and a date is a bit useful.

That’s not a side note, that’s the solution. Create a Project scope text variable in Schematic or Board Settings and use it in the Page Settings.