Copy symbol from schematic editor to library

Hi all,

I am completely new to KiCAD, and I would like to create an own library with the parts I needed most often, limited to certain footprints, and add some new ones.

I used a symbol from a library in the schematic editor, customized it using the symbol editor, and now its fine for me. Now I want to copy this symbol into my library - but I could not find a way to do this, not in the menus, and not in google.

It would be great if you can help me.

Thanks,
Klaus

1 Like

Hi @klausj , and welcome.

You should open the Symbol Editor and then File -> Create new library.
Kicad will ask for a path to save the new library, click Ok and that’s it.
Then you should select the library and add a new symbol, or in your case, you should select your symbol from the library it currently is and copy-paste in the new one, save all changes and that’s all.

More info about the software here.

Edit: It would be better to have your custom libraries in a directory other than the default so they won’t be erased after an update.

Thanks, this was clear to me.

But unfortunately I started differently:

• Edit a schematic
  • Use a symbol from a library
  • Change the symbol directly in the schematic (via Edit with Symbol Editor)

And now I would like to copy this changed symbol to a library.

Is there no way to do this (It would be totally OK to copy some things around via a text editor, if this is not supported in the GUI)? Then I have to redo my changes with your approach.

You can go to Properties, Edit Symbol and then choose Export Symbol. Then you’ll have to import it into your own library.
Not very elegant. Much better to define your own libraries first.

Maybe it’s too obvious and too easy: when you open the symbol from the schematic again to the symbol editor, you can use File → Save As.

2 Likes

No, you can’t. That will only allow you to save to the main library, which is not possible.
The User needs to have an own library present first.

Hello @klausj

Have you created a personal Symbol library yet?

Well, the OP wrote…

I took it as it was written. Usually people word the problem differently if they run into read-only library problem.

And I was trying to clarify the problem with this:

Oh, so easy! Embarrassing …

That worked perfectly, thanks, and yes, I already had created my own library

Hi @klausj

As Eelik mentioned, “Save As”

After clicking “File”, one of your choices is “Save As”. When Save As is selected, the box in the above screenshot shows. You change the name if you wish and scroll through the library list in that box. Highlight the library in which you wish to save (one of your personal libraries) , then click the save button.
You will then be asked if you wish the changes saved in your personal library… select Yes… done.

There are usually many ways to accomplish anything in a CAD programme. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.