Copper pour on top layer wreaking havoc

If someone was creating a complex fill shape it may be easier for future editing if instead of a single, complex zone border it was made of multiple overlapping rectangular shapes all belonging to the same net. (e.g. Moving a finger would be a single move command on the single rectangular shape for the finger instead of editing all 3 edges of the finger.)

There may be other cases for multiple zones benefiting from being the same priority, this was just the first one that came to mind.

1 Like

In this case the zones are the same net, so they have to be the same priority

True, but you didn’t specify different zones of different nets. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thinking a little further, maybe a use case for zones of differing nets having the same priority would be two nets that should be separated by more than the regular zone clearance. And the designer is using DRC to be a trigger for accidental overlap? But, that might be the designer relying on the tool too much and not their own two eyes…

Ah, well I assumed (I’m not terribly familiar with KiCad’s UI yet) you would know the priority of the zones you needed to be above and below, i.e. that you could see the priority of one zone at a time. You don’t necessarily need to know the priority of all the zones, just the one you need to be above and the one you need to be below. If that is not available, then you would have the same problem with any integer based scheme as well.

The one that always comes up is where the user wants the same net to have different properties in different areas. Typically different pad connections but not always. Different priorities currently place knockouts in the lower priority zone at the overlap.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.