Copper Pour on Pad won't fully fill

I am currently making a boost converter layout with the MIC2253-06YML-TR, and have been running into a problem with my copper pours.

When I go to create a filled zone, it doesn’t fill out on the pad fully. I’m sure it has something to do with my clearance settings but I’ve played around with them and haven’t had much success.

Here’s the copper pour:

Copper zone properties:

Design Constraints:

For the clearance between different items, KiCad always uses the biggest clearance that is defined. In your screenshots, it looks like the clearance of the GND net is the determining factor.

Apart from the usual clearances (defined in the properties of a zone and in net classes) they can also be overridden by the settings of a footprint, or by the settings of individual pad. It is also possible to change the clearance with custom rules.

You can also select two items (start with the zone and the GND pad under the IC) and then: PCB Editor / Inspect / Clearance Resolution. This gives a lot of info of which combination of clearances is actually used between those two items.

And why are you creating such a neckdown in the VIN zone? Why not simply keep the zone as wide as the two pins from the IC, like in:

1 Like

Was trying to keep clearance for the COMP copper zone pour, but I re-arranged it and made the pour larger. I checked the footprint properties and this is what I currently have set (same settings for the individual pads on the boost converter footprint as well):

Clearance Report between VIN Copper Pour and the GND pad of the Boost Converter (No physical clearances):

The updated clearance:

This clearance of the VIN zone (and probably INDUCT_OUT too) is too big.

It’s also what the clearance report says.

1 Like