Copper in edge board

Hello,

It’s possible to add copper in edge boards with KiCAD?

Best regards

Please tell us more?

Look up castellated holes and see if that applies.

You will need to use pads as copper zones take the board edge into account.
And you will need to ask the manufacturer how you specify the details to them (there is no standard. Especially not for the stranger cutouts shown in that article)
Normal half round plated holes are most likely simply pth pads placed at the board edge but make sure they do not need additional information.

Hello,

I wanto to do similar thing to this round%20edge%20plating

I’m used to limit zones by keepout layer and not but board edge layer.
If in KiCad I would need to have zone going over board edge I would probably try to work the same way. I would draw the board edge (to send to PCB manufacturer) not at Edge.Cuts but at another layer.

Send those pix to a few board manufacturers and see what they say. This is rather nonstandard.

You need to run the copper fills over the routing, and plate after routing.
Talk to the PCB FAB, as they likely want more $$ for this, as I think this means their routing needs a higher quality finish, than non-plated can get away with.

We do this frequently. As you supply seperate drill files for plated and non plated holes we do same for milling in Gerber or Excellon format. One file (board outline) for non plated milling and one for plated milling as this is done at diffrent production step. Some charge a small milling fee therefore. Anyway all manufacturers call back for questions if they see such things and do it first time.

1 Like

Yes, I asked and the pcb shop don’t this service.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.