Convert a sch file to kicad_sch

Hi,
I have a repo that someone did a lot of work on in an old version of KiCad that still uses the .sch files, but I’m on nightlies using the .kicad_sch extension.
I’m getting this error when I try to open the .kicad_sch file, so I’m not sure what I can do to fix this.

If I open this project in an the stable version of KiCad, I can only see the .sch files, and if I open it in the nightlies, it only shows the .kicad_sch files.

How can I convert this?

Thanks!

Are you sure your nightly build is up to date? An older one can’t necessarily open a file edited by a newer one.

It’s also (remotely) possible that an older one had a bug which causes a newer one to fail when opening the file.

You can of course convert the old .sch file to .kicad_sch by renaming the existing .kicad_sch file – then your nightly build doesn’t recognize the newer file and converts the old file.

If this doesn’t help, can you share the project? Someone could take a look inside the file and maybe find out what’s wrong.

sure…i’m recompiling the nightly now.
what exactly do you need me to upload? the sch? kicad_sch? pro? kicad_pro?

Thanks!

For what it’s worth, upgrading KiCad fixed it. I’m not 100% sure why, but it seems to be able to open it. I’m just double checking with the other engineer that all the changes actually survived.

Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.