Contributing to update of VRML librarys to STEP?

No, VRML units will not be changed to 1mm. Aside from breaking the past behavior, this would also be pointless because other sources of models use different arbitrary units anyway.

2 Likes

I guess you guys are right, not worth the troubles :slight_smile:

alot of people have troubles figuring out this when getting started with 3d models.
ofcourse this isnt an issue when using your tool :slight_smile:

most other sources I have seen used 1mm, thought it was quite common around (I know there is no standard).

The internal unit is unimportant, though direct position entry in mm should be possible.
What is needed is for some emphasis in the dialogue boxes and documentation on what the unit choice is.

2000 lines of parameters and the new DFN and QFN packages are coming :slight_smile:
still needs a bit of checking before getting merged into the offical lib

7 Likes

small preview of the next upcoming models :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I was using Altium the other day for a project, and was horrified at how poor the 3D models looked in the project! I think we are on to a good thing here.

Also, the footprint libraries have been vastly improved of late, with more on the way. Thanks everyone for the fantastic and continuing contributions.

3 Likes

Has anyone done a Euro coin? Would be useful for size comparisons. Other objects could be useful too…

SSOP parameters are now done and they have been send for review to Maui
can I suggest to replace .3Dshapes with .sexy? :stuck_out_tongue: or perhaps .charismatic? :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

vvvveerrry nice!!!
I’m going to make a PR for the 3Dpackage repo asap
:smiley:

3 Likes

Perhaps a banana for scale

2 Likes

Ladyfinger or Cavendish?

hm… dunno, if you look into the folder maybe you’d want them to sit in reading order?
.pretty .sweet .stuff or .pretty .sweet .thing

2 Likes

What about some of these bad boys?

1 Like

Great work folks, looking forward to it!

I would really appreciate an LFCSP package if that’s on the radar… the specific device is a 24-pin Analog Devices op-amp. 4x4mm, 0.75mm high, 0.5mm pitch. Very similar to a QFN I believe. More info here:

http://www.analog.com/en/design-center/packaging-quality-symbols-footprints/package-index/csp-chip-scale-package/lfcsp.html

and the chip docs:
http://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/ADA4940-1_4940-2.pdf (last page, p30).

@rivimey
if you just have a look at the library here:
github packages3D/Housings_DFN_QFN.3dshapes
you can easily find
QFN-24-1EP_4x4mm_Pitch0.5mm
which is your package isn’t it?

this is also available at
github kicad-library/modules/packages3d/Housings_DFN_QFN.3dshapes

2 Likes

Thanks, Maui.
I saw that, and am in fact using it for the moment, but I wasn’t sure if it was in fact the correct package. Is it the case that LFCSP == QFN ?

Different manufacturers use different names for this package

What you really need to check accurately with the DS is your footprint

1 Like

This might mainly be a question for @SchrodingersGat but can hopefully be useful to others.
Are multiple models ok to one footprint? The specific case I’m thinking of is for “extra models” say you make a model of an SD card holder. Would adding another model of the SD card (fitted correctly in to the holder) be ok? And would it be OK to add it as an extra model in the footprint? Besides SD cards it could make sense for battery holders, m2 connectors etc. Any thoughts on this?

1 Like

@SchrodingersGat @Rene_Poschl would it be ok to use Measurement_scales.Pretty for footprints of size comparison? Rubiks cubes, coins, cans etc? 3D models will ofcourse also be there :slight_smile:

I would use a second (virtual) footprint for that.

Why would i use a virtual footprint for the official lib?
It is much more flexible.
Just take the example of my phoenix connectors. For my personal lib it is ok that i generate a pcb connector/cable connector pair. but there are at least 5 different cable connectors that fit a specific pcb connector and vice versa. Either we have 5 real footprints for the pcb side plus 5 virtual footprints for their counter part.
Or we need one footprint for each possible combination. (A lot more than 10 footprints. I’m currently to tired to calculate the number of needed footprints for this example. I’m sure it grows at least as fast as n! if not as fast as n^n)