Connector position and alignment

Yes, these are rule areas.

1 Like

I was not thinking about using any KiCad feature. When you design PCB you see elements at top and at bottom. If you have something at bottom that you are afraid THT pins can touch than when placing elements at top you can not place THT pins at the region occupied by that thing.
I have PCB with graphic LCD display with little distance at bottom (its internal flexible connection touches my PCB). When placing THT Ethernet connector, electrolytic capacitors and buzzer at top I just avoided the region occupied on the other side by this LCD.
And I was thinking (and suppose you too) of excluding only THT pins. Whay suddenly you ask about excluding SMD?

1 Like

Indeed I was planning to avoid having THT on top of the grounded component. But as others said it is way less robust, I was asking if there is way to combine both benefits from both technologies. It it was possible to put THT without causing issue on the bottom for that sensor, I would go with that approach. But as you did, I will probably put SMD headers for that part of the PCB. Thank you !

The main problem with SMT connectors is that the pads get ripped of the PCB relatively easily. Making the pads bigger for mechanical strength is the simplest thing you can do.

Putting a few small via’s in the pads also makes them a lot stronger, but it has a few disadvantages. The most obvious is that the via’s extend to the other side, and the via’s sucks up solder, and it can therefore starve the pad of enough solder to make a good connection. This is not a problem for hand soldering, as you intuitively add more solder, but when working with solder stencils it can lead to reliability problems.

Edit:
THT → SMT.
*&^%$#@!

1 Like

I don’t understand English enough or you were thinking about SMD.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.